2. I have more than one email account at GPC how do I find the password for those accounts?
3. I am using Outlook on one of my GPC computers but want it on another GPC PC/Laptop.
4. How do I share my mail and/or calendar with another employee?
5. I use a Mac and don't have access to Outlook. Is there another option for me besides Webmail?
6. How do I use the new Outlook features?
7. What is Active Directory?
8. What is Microsoft Exchange?
9. How do I check my email from home or while traveling?
10. What's my email address?
11. How do I add my departmental email account to Outlook?
12. What is my new email address?
13. How long will my 'old' email address work?
14. How do I set an out of office message?
15. Why does webmail look different when I use different web browsers?
16. Can I sync my mail, calendar, and contacts with my phone or handheld device?
17. What happens to items that I delete?
18. I was subscribed to a listserv and am no longer able to send messages to the listserv. What happened?
19. How do I send a Genmail?
20. How do I lock my computer? I don't want anyone be able to read my email.
21. Are you a new full time or part time employee in need of their email?
22. Are you a contractor or a temporary employee in need of an email account?
23. Want to Turn off Junk E-mail filtering in Outlook?
(to top) 1. What do all the different passwords mean and how do I establish an email address?
All new Full time and Part employees will have access to their GPC email account after the first or second day of employment with the college. Please visit www.gpc.edu/getmylogin to retrieve your GPC username and password. If you are a temporary employee please have your supervisor fill out the GPC Computer Access Form. Below are the different passwords and what they are used for:
- GPC password: Email and PC login or your Laptop if that’s what you use, faculty and department web pages, iCollege , ESAMS, SMARTS, phone directory or any log in page on the web for GPC. To change your GPC password, please visit www.gpc.edu/getmylogin, (DO NOT use Ctrl/Alt/Delete on the PC login screen or Webmail to reset this password anymore. Your password will be out of sync if you do)fill out the required information and on the next page, click on the "change this password" link, which you will find right under the GPC password displayed there. This password expires after four months. Please make sure to reset it periodically.
- SIS password/PIN: SIS login only. To change the password, log in to SIS and follow the instructions or to reset if its locked please see topic #5.
- SIS admin (Banner): SIS admin login only. To change your password, log in to SIS admin and in the upper right corner there is a "change password link".
- ADP password: ADP log in only.
If you want to change your password, here are the criteria that qualifies as a secure strong password; it must contain at least 8 characters or more and be at least 3 of the following 4 choices:
- 1. Uppercase letters
- 2. lowercase letters
- 3. Special characters like *&%$#@)(?=
- 4. Numbers
An alternate to this is to come up with a short sentence using proper punctuation and spacing. example: "Four score and seven years ago…"(including the three periods at the end).(to top) 2. I have more than one email account at GPC how do I find the password for those accounts?
You can find the initial passwords for all accounts you "own" on the Get My Login page. The person listed as the owner of department email accounts will also be able to retrieve their departmental email passwords from this page. If you are not the owner of the email account you will need to ask the owner of the account (usually your supervisor) for the password. If you do not know who the owner of the account is please contact the Service desk: 678-891-3460.(to top) 3. I am using Outlook on one of my GPC computers but want it on another GPC computer/laptop.
Call the Service desk and put in a work order to get Outlook installed: 678-891-3460 You can always use Webmail until Outlook can be installed.(to top) 4. How do I share my mail and/or calendar with another employee using Outlook?
Step 1: To Give Somebody Access to YOUR Mail/Calendar From Outlook
1. Open Outlook.
2. Click Tools on the menu bar then click Options. From the Options window click the Delegates tab.
3. Then click the Add button.
4. Search by first name, highlight the name, then click Add. Click OK.
5. Select the permissions that are appropriate. Then click the Automatically send a message to delegate summarizing these permissions check box. Click OK.
6. Finally, click OK again.
Step 2: To Add Someone to Your Outlook Setup
1. Once someone has given you access you have to accept that access by adding their mail and/or calendar to your Outlook.
2. Open Outlook.
3. Click File on the menu bar.
4. Point to Open and then click Open Other Users's Folder.
5. Click the Name button. Enter a first name in the search box, highlight the appropriate name and click OK.
6. From the drop down list select the type of Folder you would like to open. For example, Inbox, Calendar, etc. Your ability to open a folder will depend on what type of access the person has granted you. Click OK. Repeat these actions for each folder type (Calendar, Inbox, etc) for each person you have access to.
Microsoft Entourage 2008 is an option.
Please contact the Service desk to discuss the details: 678-891-3460(to top) 6. How do I use the new Outlook features?
Please view the training materials online for Outlook 2003 and 2007:
Please view the training materials online:
Active Directory’s main purpose is to provide central authentication and authorization services for Windows-based computers. Active Directory also allows administrators to assign policies, deploy software, and apply critical updates to an organization. Active Directory networks can vary from a small installation with a few hundred objects, to a large installation with millions of objects.(to top) 9. What is Microsoft Exchange?
The new email system is Microsoft Exchange 2007. The interface will remain the same as before. You will continue to use Outlook 2003 or 2007. You will also gain the benefit of having shared calendars with delegation as well as having contacts stored on the server. This will allow Webmail to have contacts and calendar events synced. Since Exchange is integrated with Active Directory, it will no longer be necessary to provide usernames and passwords to access Outlook on workstations that are members of Active Directory.(to top) 10. How do I check my email from home or while traveling?
You can use Webmail to check your email from any computer with an Internet Connection.
You can also set up Outlook 2007 on your personal computer using Outlook Anywhere to send/receive email.
- If it is the first time you are using Outlook on your personal computer you will need to tell Outlook that you would like to configure an E-mail account.
OR If it is not the first time you have used Outlook on your personal computer you will need to go to the Tools menu and click Account Settings. Then click the New button. Select the Microsoft Exchange, POP3, IMAP, or HTTP radio button then click Next.
- Enter your name, your GPC email address (firstname.lastname@example.org), and your password. Then click Next.
In the User name box enter: FACULTY-STAFF\username and your password again. Then click OK.
- Then click Finish.
You must first put in a Service desk ticket to have your departmental account set up to be added as an additional email account inside of Outlook. In order to make this request you must be the owner of the account. The owner of the account can also instruct the helpdesk to enable other employees to have access to the departmental account. Once the helpdesk has enabled the departmental account to be added to Outlook you will need to do the following:
- Open Outlook, click Tools on the menu bar.
- Click Accounting Settings.
- Then click Change.
- Click More Settings and then go to the Advanced tab.
- Click Add.
- Enter the email address for the departmental account and then click OK.
- Click Apply and then OK.
- Restart Outlook. Your departmental mail account should display in the Mail Folders list on the left side of your Outlook screen.
Your new email address will be in the format: email@example.com You should use your name exactly as it appears in Human Resources. Nicknames/Short names are not used in the email address.(to top) 13. How long will my 'old' email address work?
Your "old" email address that is in this format: firstname.lastname@example.org will continue to work for awhile. Please go ahead and start using the new email address instead.(to top) 14. How do I set an out of office message?
From Outlook 2003 or 2007:
- Open Outlook.
- Click Tools on the menu bar
- Then click Out of Office Assistant.
- Select the Send Out of Office auto-replies radio button.
- Select the Only send during this time range checkbox.
- Enter dates for when the message should start and stop.You can use the tabs to set separate Out of Office Messages for people who are at the college and those who are external to the college. Enter appropriate text on each tab.
- Click OK.
- When using Internet Explorer to view your Webmail, click Options in the upper right.
- Then click Out of Office Assistant on the left.
- Click the Send out of Office auto-replies radio button.
- Click the Send Out of Office auto-replies only during this time period check box.
- Enter dates for when the message should start and stop.
- You can use the two different text boxes to set separate Out of Office Messages for people who are at the college and those who are external to the college. Enter appropriate text into each box.
- Click the Save button in the upper left
Webmail is designed to look and act just like Microsoft Outlook. Since our Webmail is a Microsoft product, to get all the functionality you'll need to use Microsoft Internet Explorer. Webmail will work with other browsers such as Firefox you just won't have all of the features that you would have if you used Internet Explorer.(to top) 16. Can I sync my mail, calendar, and contacts with my phone or handheld device?
It depends. ActiveSync-enabled smartphones or devices will be able to sync with your mail, calendar, and contacts.
ActiveSync is software installed in the mobile device, allowing it to synchronize email, contacts, calendar items, and tasks with the same items stored on the College email servers. Normally you see this information only in Outlook (PC users), Entourage Mac users), or through Webmail; ActiveSync enables our email server to send that same information to your mobile device.
You won't have to do anything special to keep your mobile device synchronized, like pressing “send / receive” or some other button on the mobile device because it will just stay in sync. This aspect of ActiveSync is called “push updates.” When a new email message arrives in your mailbox or an appointment changes, our email server notifies your phone and your phone automatically retrieves the changes.
Since your mobile device is receiving email and appointments, you will have to pay for the "airtime". To use ActiveSync you need to have a data plan with your mobile device carrier. GPC is not responsible for charges incurred by using ActiveSync and your mobile device.
GPC will provide you with key information for setting up ActiveSync on your mobile device. However, you are responsible for actually setting up the device.
GPC Username i.e. jdoe
Domain: ad.gpc.edu(to top) 17. What happens to items that I delete?
Items that you delete are moved to the Deleted Items folder. You will need to empty the Deleted Items folder to permanently delete messages.
Then Empty "Deleted Items" Folder is found under the Tools menu in Outlook (2003 or 2007).(to top) 18. I was subscribed to a listserv and am no longer able to send messages to the listserv. What happened?
You may not be able to send to listservs you've been subscribed to because of your email address has changed to email@example.com
You will need to resubscribe with your new email address.(to top) 19. How do I send a Genmail? When sending out a Genmail please make sure that there are no attachments to the email, no speical fonts, no font colors, no pictures, it must be sent in a plain text email. Please send to firstname.lastname@example.org. For individual genmail listings please look at #16 on the Employee Information. (to top) 20. How do I lock my computer? I don't want anyone be able to read my email.
Anytime you leave your computer (laptop or desktop) you should pressCtrl+Alt+Del then click Lock Computer.
This will keep unauthorized users from accessing your data, files, and email.(to top) 21. Are you a new full time or part time employee in need of their email? Part-time or Full-time employees, your account information should be on the GetMyLogin page within the first couple of days you begin employment at GPC. If it is not there after two business days, please have your supervisor contact us by phone (678-891-3460) or enter a service request. (to top) 22. Are you a contractor or a temporary employee in need of an email account?
Contractor or Temporary employee email accounts are available at this web page. Please fill out the form completely and understand that it typically takes a couple of business days to process, at the beginning of semesters it takes longer.(to top) 23. Want to turn off Junk E-mail filtering in Outlook?
If you want to turn off Junk E-mail Filtering in Outlook, launch Outlook and click on the "Actions" button at the top. In that menu there is "Junk E-mail" area and from that sub-menu, select "Junk Email Options". A new dialog box should open. Select the top radio button labeled "No automatic Filtering". Click on the "OK" button