GPC Alpharetta Center Library: Reserve Materials
Materials eligible for course reserve
- Instructor/departmental-owned materials may be placed on reserve. Avoid placing rare or very valuable items on reserve; while the library makes every effort to assure the safety of your materials, we cannot be responsible for lost, stolen, or damaged materials. Please pay special attention to Fair Use Guidelines for photocopied materials.
- E-reserves. Electronic materials may be placed on course reserve for the semester as long as they meet Fair Use guidelines. E-reserves are password protected for your course(s).
- GPC library materials may be placed on reserve for your class for short periods of time. GIL Express and Interlibrary Loan (ILL) items may not be placed on course reserve.
- Textbook policy. The library does not purchase course textbooks, but instructors or departments may provide the library with copies to put on course reserve. Textbooks may be placed on reserve for several hours, overnight, or one week loan periods. This provides students access to the text for limited periods; textbooks should not be placed on reserve as a substitute for student purchase.
To place items on reserve
1. For electronic reserves, complete the E-Reserves request form, verifying that the items meet Fair Use Guidelines and indicating the password you desire for your students to have access. For physical materials, complete the Library Reserve Request Form, verifying that the items meet Fair Use Guidelines and indicating the loan period and whether borrowers may remove the item from the library. (Most physical items are 2-hour loans within library use only.)
2. Bring or send the item(s) you wish to place on reserve to the campus library of your choice, or send it to Alpharetta Center Library. Any campus library will distribute materials to other campus libraries, but you must allow extra time for this. E-reserves may be submitted electronically.
Please call the library at 678-240-6135 if you have any questions.
To process new reserve material it will be necessary to send the material and all pertinent information to the pertinent Circulation Department at least 10 working days before it is assigned. Due to the volume of requests, material needed at the beginning of the term will require 3 weeks' processing time. All items will be processed in the order received. Unless otherwise instructed all material will be removed at the end of the semester and held for you in the circulation department. Items not claimed for one semester following their removal date become the property of the library and may be discarded or added to the library collection at the discretion of the librarian.
Please remind your students that they must bring their GPC ID (J-card) to check out reserve items and that the item has special borrowing terms, such as a two-hour loan period and library-use-only status. Emphasize the fact that the purpose of course reserves is to allow items to be shared among the entire class. A note in your syllabus to that effect would be very helpful. For e-reserves, we will supply you with a link to the item and the password to access them.