Office of the President
Georgia Perimeter College (GPC) is an accessible, affordable institution with award-winning faculty teaching small classes – the best learning environment for producing successful students. Each GPC location is equipped with the most advanced teaching technology available.
Founded by the citizens of DeKalb County and the DeKalb Board of Education under the Junior College Act of 1958, Georgia Perimeter College opened as DeKalb College with 763 students at its Clarkston Campus in 1964. It was the only public junior college in the state supported and controlled by a local board of education.
In 1972, the college opened its Decatur Campus. Students in DeKalb Area Technical School were able to enroll dually in vocational and collegiate programs at that time.
The Dunwoody Campus began its operation in 1979. The college was a pioneer in Georgia, providing an open-door admissions policy, personalized approaches to instruction and community-related curricula and activities. In 1986, DeKalb College was accepted by the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia as its thirty-fourth member institution.
During spring 1993, DeKalb College in cooperation with Clayton State College, DeKalb Technical College and Rockdale County Public Schools formed the Rockdale Center for Higher Education. In November 1997, the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia (USG) approved changing the name of the college from DeKalb College to Georgia Perimeter College to reflect its expanding mission and its service throughout metropolitan Atlanta.
From 1987 to the present, GPC has offered classes at the Lawrenceville Campus. The USG’s newest four-year institution, Georgia Gwinnett College, will assume responsibility for freshman and sophomore classes at that location in 2008, and Georgia Perimeter College will close the existing operation in Gwinnett County.
In June 2007, Georgia Perimeter College opened a new campus in Newton County to serve students in eight counties in southeastern metropolitan Atlanta. The college welcomed 1,275 summer school students to the new 104,000-square-foot building that provides classroom, study and administrative space.