Return to all courses

MUSC 1708

This is an archive of the Common Course Outlines prior to fall 2011. The current Common Course Outlines can be found at http://www.gpc.edu/programs/Common-Course-Outlines.   
Credit Hours   1   
Course Title   Music Fundamentals   
Prerequisite(s)   None    
Corequisite(s)   None Specified   
Catalog Description   
This is an introduction to the fundamental technical aspects of music. Topics covered include notation, intervals, scales, rhythm, and meter. Elementary ear training and basic keyboard harmony are also incorporated. This course is not intended for music majors, but may be taken in preparation for MUSC 1611 and MUSC 1621 by prospective majors needing preparatory strengthening in these areas and by non-majors starting applied music study.
   
Expected Educational Results   
As a result of completing this course, the student will be able to identify and reproduce the music elements listed below:
1. Grand Staff
2. Letter names of the lines and spaces of the Grand Staff
3. Letter names of ledger lines: Five lines above the treble staff and five lines below the bass staff
4. Letter names of the keys of the piano, including their enharmonic spellings
5. Time signatures with an understanding of the function of top and bottom numbers of the signature
6. Note and rest symbols for durations of whole, half, quarter, eighth, sixteenth, thirty-second and the use of the dot in these configurations
7. Simple and compound time signatures (written & aural)
8. Major and minor scales (three forms), in bass and treble clef (written & aural)
9. Major, perfect, minor, diminished, and augmented intervals (written & aural)
10. Major, minor, diminished, and augmented triads, in root position (written & aural)
   
General Education Outcomes   
A student who completes MUSC 1708 will be able to:
1.    Write (and recognize aurally where appropriate)
§ all grand staff attributes: symbols and key signatures
§ all qualities of intervals: major, perfect, minor, diminished, and augmented
§ all qualities of triads: major, minor, diminished, and augmented
§ all qualities of scales: major and minor scales (three forms)
§ rhythmically accurate measures in any time signature
2.    Perform selected examples of keyboard repertoire on the piano at an elementary level
   
Course Content   
§ Grand Staff
§ Letter names of the lines and spaces of the Grand Staff
§ Letter names of ledger lines: Five lines above the treble staff and five lines below the bass staff
§ Letter names of the keys of the piano, including their enharmonic spellings
§ Time signatures with an understanding of the function of top and bottom numbers of the signature
§ Note and rest symbols for durations of whole, half, quarter, eighth, sixteenth, thirty-second and the use of the dot in these configurations
§ Simple and compound time signatures (written & aural)
§ Major and minor scales (three forms), in bass and treble clef (written & aural)
§ Major, perfect, minor, diminished, and augmented intervals (written & aural)
§ Major, minor, diminished, and augmented triads, in root position (written & aural)

Assessment of Outcome Objectives   
1.    COURSE GRADE

The written portion of the course is weighted at 80% of the final grade. The remaining 20% is equally divided between the aural and keyboard skills area of the course.
This course is assessed twice (at the beginning and the end of the course) using the MUSIC THEORY PLACEMENT EXAM. Students scoring 79% or below on their first attempt must enroll in MUSC 1708. The test covers a broad range of information taken from the content listed above. Upon completion of MUSC 1708 the student must score a grade of 90 % or above on the MUSIC THEORY PLACEMENT EXAM in order to start the MUSC 1611/1621 sequence. A grade of 89 % or below, regardless of the grade received in MUSC 1708 will not allow the student to start the MUSC 1611/1621 sequence.

2.    DEPARTMENTAL ASSESSMENT
o Successful performance in MUSC 1611 and MUSC 1621
o Passing the MUSIC THEORY PLACEMENT EXAM at the end of MUSC 1708 with a grade of 90% or better
USE OF ASSESSMENT FINDINGS
Evaluation of the MUSIC THEORY PLACEMENT EXAM results:
o Reveals content areas that need revision in MUSC 1708
o Identifies content areas that are problematic in regard to student comprehension and retention

Last Revised: Aug. 10, 2011
Return to all courses