MUSC 1782This is an archive of the Common Course Outlines prior to fall 2011. The current Common Course Outlines can be found at http://www.gpc.edu/programs/Common-Course-Outlines.
Credit Hours 1
Course Title Diction For Singers II
Prerequisite(s) None Specified
Corequisite(s) None Specified
This course is one of two courses which, through the use of the International Phonetic Alphabet, serves to introduce the principles of diction for singers. All aspects are approached from the perspective of the special problems encountered in singing in German and French.
Expected Educational Results
As a result of completing this course the student will be able to:General Education Outcomes
- Identify all vowel and diphthong sounds of German and French by assigning symbols of the IPA to each sound and appropriate spelling.
- Identify all stop, fricative, glide, nasal, and affricate consonant sounds of German and French by assigning symbols of the IPA to each sound and appropriate spelling.
- Write a physical description for each IPA symbol of each German and French sounds.
- Write an example word or spelling for all sounds of German and French.
- Pronounce IPA symbols in an accurate manner.
- Transcribe assigned art-song texts into IPA symbols.
- Pronounce transcribed song texts by reading IPA symbols.
- Sing transcribed song texts with clear, accurate diction.
A student who completes Diction for Singers II will be able toCourse Content
- vocally communicate: clear diction in German song literature
clear diction in French song literature
- identify aurally, visually, and in writing: correct IPA symbols in German song literature
correct IPA symbols in French song literature
- perform selected repertoire with correct interpretation and delivery of text
Assessment of Outcome Objectives
- Introduction of the International Phonetic Alphabet symbols.
- Application of IPA Symbols to the correct pronunciation of German.
- Application of IPA symbols to the correct pronunciation in French.
- Examination of problems specific to singing in German and French.
written final exam
final exam performance
Accuracy of diction of required German and French song and/or operatic literature for course completion is reflected in skills attained in MUSC 1782.
Accuracy of diction of Applied Music Exam (jury) repertoire is reflected in skills attained in MUSC 1782.
USE OF ASSESSMENT FINDINGS
Evaluation of test and jury results:
Reveal content areas that need revision, addition to, or deletion from course requirements.
Determine each student's placement in subsequent levels of study.