A student cannot be determined to be independent just because:
- Your parents do not want to provide information on the FAFSA due to privacy concerns;
- Your parents will not help you pay for college;
- Your parents no longer claim you as a dependent on their taxes; or
- You no longer live at home.
Contact the FAA to discuss your dependency status if:
- You have had no contact with your parents and do not know where they are (and you have not been adopted by someone else); or
- You have left home because of an abusive situation.