Welcome to the CIE's On-line Study Abroad Orientation.

Passports: A passport is an official government document that certifies your identity and citizenship.  Passport information is available at U.S. Department of State Passports Home and at Students Abroad. Your passport should arrive in approximately 6 weeks, but this is not guaranteed and may take longer. For a fee, you may expedite the passport application process and receive your passport in approximately 2 weeks (not guaranteed). You may apply for renewal of your passport by mail as long as you satisfy certain conditions. 

Passports and other important documents, money, credit cards and traveler's checks should be carried with you, not packed. These items should be secure but readily accessible for inspection at airports and customs. Consider purchasing a small travel pack or money belt that may be worn underneath your clothing and keep all valuable items in this pack at all times.

1. Go to Students Abroad
2. Find and browse through "Travel Docs"

1. Go to Passports Home
2. Find and read through "Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative"

If your passport gets lost or stolen: Before you leave, make a few copies of your passport, visa, airline tickets, etc... and store them in a safe place separate from where you are carrying the actual items. Leave a copy at home with your emergency contact. If your passport is stolen-

  • report it immediately to the local police,

  • get written confirmation of the theft or loss from the police,

  • take the report and a copy of your passport to the nearest U.S. consulate.

Be sure that your important documents are in your carry-on luggage, not your checked bag, and that copies of your documents are stored in a separate place. Carry a change of clothing,  a few toiletries, vital medication, irreplaceable items, and any items you may need on the plane in your carry-on luggage.

Study abroad is safe, and pre-departure orientation is designed to make sure you are as safe as possible. Incidents do, however, happen. In case of an emergency overseas- if you are hospitalized or arrested abroad, how will your family come to help you? It is a good idea to make sure your parent,  guardian or spouse has a current passport. Ask your loved ones to make sure their travel documents are up to date. If they have never had a passport before, encourage them to apply for one.

1. Go to Passport Home
2. Read "Lost or Stolen US Passport"

Back   Next