The possession, storage, or use of firearms, ammunition, explosive materials, and dangerous weapons of any type is prohibited on property owned or leased by Georgia Perimeter College.
This policy applies to all faculty, staff, students, and visitors of Georgia Perimeter College on any property owned or leased by the college, including grounds, buildings, satellite locations, and vehicles.
Under State of Georgia Law, Georgia Perimeter College is designated as a “school safety zone.” Accordingly, it is illegal to possess a weapon outside of a motor vehicle on any property owned or leased by the college (OCGA 16-11-127.1).
Firearms and Dangerous Weapons Defined
Firearms and dangerous weapons include but are not limited to the following:
- Pistol, revolver, or any weapons designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind, including air soft, paintball, BB or pellet guns, potato guns, and other such homemade devices;
- Dirk, bowie knife, switchblade, ballistic knife, or any other knife having a blade of two or more inches;
- Straight-edge razor or razor blades;
- Spring stick, metal knucks, blackjacks;
- Bat, club, or other bludgeon-type weapon;
- Nun chahka, nun chuck, nunchaku, shuriken, or fighting chain;
- Throwing star or oriental dart;
- Stun gun or taser.
Weapons in parking areas
- Persons (to include students) who are issued a valid weapons-carry permit under OCGA 16-11-129 or OCGA 43-38-10 may legally possess a firearm within their motor vehicle. These persons may park their vehicle and leave the weapon within their vehicle. The weapon may not leave the vehicle.
- Persons (to exclude students) who do not possess a weapons-carry permit may transport a weapon onto campus, provided that the weapon is in a locked compartment, rack, or container within the motor vehicle. The vehicle must be picking up, dropping off, or transporting individuals through the school safety zone. Persons within this category may not leave the vehicle parked upon campus grounds. The weapon may not leave the vehicle.
- In all cases, students must possess a valid weapons-carry permit to carry a weapon within a vehicle on campus.
· This policy does not apply to persons who are sworn peace officers in Georgia or to persons who are in possession of non-lethal personal defense weapons such as pepper spray or mace.
· If firearms or dangerous weapons are required for classroom instruction or if equipment is used for college sponsored athletic events or practices, the instructor or coach must receive prior approval from the Public Safety Director or designee. In no case will live ammunition be allowed on campus with the approved firearms or weapons.
· Items which are considered hardware or tools (e.g., knifes, exactos, razor blades, scalpels, etc.) may be used by employees if they are used for assigned duties in work areas, including classrooms and laboratories.
Sanctions for Violation
Failure to comply with Weapons on College Property Policy may result in but are not limited to the following:
- Removal from the property at which the violation occurs by college or public safety officers and/or authorized representatives of the college;
- Criminal prosecution and/or suspension, expulsion, or termination from the college;
- Disciplinary action including but not limited to suspension, expulsion, or termination from the college and/or criminal prosecution.
Safety and Security
Georgia Perimeter College Public Safety has the ultimate authority to ensure compliance with all rules, regulation, and laws. All persons on college property are subject to the authority of the Department of Public Safety.