Category: Search FAQ:
Online Classes
Date Updated
2010-09-20 10:38:10

Who do I contact if my iCollege name is different from my name in the Student Information System?
You should inform your instructors immediately so that they know who you are on their class roster. Next verify that your name is correct in the Student Information System (SIS). If it is incorrect in SIS, you will need to document your name change for the college through the Change of Personal Information Form handled by the Enrollment & Registration Services Office to change your name in the Student Information System. Once your name is updated in SIS, you will need to email the GPC Service Desk and ask them to update your iCollege account. Be sure the email includes your GPC ID#, old name, and corrected name. Remember that changing your name in SIS does not change your iCollege information, and vice versa.