Category: Search FAQ:
Veteran Affairs/Military Outreach
Date Updated
2013-07-08 15:31:10

What should I do if I do not receive a payment?
If you have not received your monthly payment by the fifth of the month and it has been at least 30 days since you were notified by GPC that your enrollment certification has been submitted to the Department of Veteran Affairs for processing, immediately call 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551). If you are hearing impaired please call 1-800-829-4833 for assistance.

For more information, visit GPC Veteran Affairs at