The following are objectives for the project:
- Create a CBNRM community of practice in Southern Africa
- Collect, organize, create and consolidate Community Based Natural Resource Management (CBNRM) curricula and materials in durable formats including published books.
- Link practitioners (e.g. WWF, AWF, IUCN-SASUSG), policy-makers, and CBNRM scholars into process to build capacity of four organizations which are primary partners: Namibian University of Science and Technology (NUST), University of Botswana (UB), Southern African Wildlife College (SAWC) and Sokoine Agricultural University (SAU); and other secondary partners.
- Institutionalize CBNRM training capacity in the form of practitioner / vocational certificates, short courses and modules for private sector and NGOs, undergraduate minors, and in-depth graduate courses and research.
- Develop and manage a community-of-practice
- Collect, collate, and design CBNRM curricula and materials
- Develop foundational training materials (books and manuals) through write shops
- Involve faculty members from target institutions in a series of write-shops to build their capacity.
- CBNRM scholar-practitioner community of practice
- BCNRM curricula for colleges / universities
- Short courses for trainers / industry
- Produce a series of books, manuals and teaching materials written collectively by scholars and practitioners covering subjects such as natural resource governance, participatory resource management, social learning and adaptive management, economics, marketing and business development.