Valerie Burke DeLeon, Ph.D.
Photo of Dr. Burke DeLeon
Phone: (352) 294-7602
- Ph.D., Johns Hopkins University, 2004
- M.A., University of Florida, 1998
- LL.M. Taxation, New York University, 1992
- J.D., University of Florida, 1991
- B.A., University of Florida, 1988
Human biological variation, Growth and development, Virtual reconstructions, Morphometrics
Dr. DeLeon studies growth and development of the skull in humans and other primates. She uses morphometric analyses and three-dimensional virtual reconstructions to study the spatial relationships of bone and soft tissue in the developing head.
Positions and Honors
Positions and Employment
University of Florida
- Associate Professor, 2016-present
- Assistant Professor, 2014-2016
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, 2014-present
- Assistant Professor, 2006-2014
Other Experience and Professional Memberships
- American Association of Anatomists (elected Secretary/Treasurer 2015)
- American Association of Physical Anthropologists
- State of Maryland Anatomy Board (2009-2014), Chair (2010-2013)
- The Professors’ Award for Excellence in Teaching, Johns Hopkins University, 2012
- Ales Hrdlička Award, American Association of Physical Anthropologists, 2004
Rubin KM, DeLeon VB. Ancestral Variation in Orbital Rim Shape: A Three-Dimensional Pilot Study. Journal of Forensic Science. DOI: 10.1111/1556-4029.13493.
DeLeon VB, Rosenberger AL, Smith TD. (2016) Ontogeny of the postorbital region in tarsiers and other primates. The Anatomical Record, 299:1631-1645, DOI: 10.1002/ar.23476.
Lindsay KE, Rühli FJ, DeLeon VB. (2015) Revealing the face of an ancient Egyptian: Synthesis of current and traditional approaches to evidence-based facial approximation. The Anatomical Record, 298:1144-1161, DOI:10.1002/ar.23146.
DeLeon VB, Smith TD. (2014) Mapping the nasal airways: using histology to enhance CT-based three-dimensional reconstruction in Nycticebus. The Anatomical Record, 297:2113-2120, DOI:10.1002/ar.23028.
Smith TD, Kentzel ES, Cunningham JM, Bruening AE, Jankord KD, Trupp SJ, Bonar CJ, Rehorek SJ, DeLeon VB (2014) Mapping bone cell distributions to assess ontogenetic origin of primate midfacial form. American Journal of Physical Anthropology, 154:424-435, DOI:10.1002/ajpa.22540.
DeLeon VB. (2007) Fluctuating asymmetry and stress in a medieval Nubian population. American Journal of Physical Anthropology, 132:520-534.
Richtsmeier JT, DeLeon VB, Lele S. (2002) The promise of geometric morphometrics. Yearbook of Physical Anthropology, 45:63-91.
Contribution to Science
Ongoing Research Support
“Collaborative research: A histological and CT study of midfacial growth trajectories in subadult primates”
- NSF BCS-1231717 (9/12-7/16)
- Transferred to University of Florida, BCS-1728263 (8/16-7/18)
“Mechanism of sutural malformation in a mouse model for syndromic craniosynostosis”
- NIH/NIDCR 1R03DE019816 (7/10-6/12)