Study Abroad in Brussels
University of Florida
234 Anderson Hall
PO Box 117325
Gainesville, FL 32611
(352) 392-8127 (fax)
Join the Study Abroad listserv to get regular updates on CES Study Abroad Programs and information sessions by sending an email to Lisa Booth.
- Program is part of the European Union Studies Program (EUSP) Minor program and certificate and the International Studies major
- At least one course will focus on the European Union.
- Lodging in fully furnished apartments.
- Courses taught in English.
- Cultural and educational excursions (if there is student interest).
- Guest speakers discuss current events and/or course related topics.
Summer A: May 22 – July 7, 2017 (6 weeks)
The UF in Brussels program offers students an opportunity to earn six credits at Vesalius College. Students will spend six weeks in Brussels in an interdisciplinary program.
Brussels is the unofficial capital of Europe hosting the headquarters of the European Union NATO as well as literally hundreds of related organizations. A primary goal of the program is to introduce students to life in Europe today through an examination of the European Union. Courses may include visits to EU institution and/or guest speakers from the EU, NATO or other relevant organizations to discuss such topics as EU enlargement, the economic impact of European integration and the changing character of transatlantic relations. Other non-political topics which may be included are the demography of the EU, the role of religion in the EU, the role of women in the EU, or the EU and Human Rights.
UF students participating in the program will be able to partake fully in student life at Vesalius College, an English language international college within the Dutch speaking Belgian Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB). Students will be sharing courses with students from all over the world and will benefit from all of the resources available to students (including full library, computer facilities, cafeteria, and gym access).
One required European Union Studies Program course:
- EUS 4905: The European Union in the World (3 UF GPA credits, required course)
One required Vesalius College course, sample titles:
- Modernism and After
- A Belgian and European Perspective
- Organizational Communication and European Diversity
- Political Islam in Europe
- Internships available
All courses are rigorous and require both reading and written work. The classes usually meet two days a week for four hours a day.
The program offers lodging in fully furnished apartments with kitchen and washer/dryer facilities. Students share bedrooms. Every attempt will be made to ensure apartment locations are convenient to the university and central attractions. Students are responsible for all their meals.
Undergraduate Program Fee: $4,733
Graduate Program Fee: $4,981
Fee includes: Tuition for 6 credits, housing, orientation, excursions, international health insurance and medical emergency assistance.
Fee does NOT include: Roundtrip airfare, additional personal travel, and personal expenses
A $350 non-refundable deposit toward the total cost of the program is required at the time of application. The remaining fees are due no later than 45 days prior to departure. Students receiving financial aid may defer payment until their financial aid disperses.
Application deadline: March 15, 2017
- Current Courses
- Interdisciplinary Studies – Modern European Studies concentration
- Area Studies
- European Union Studies Program
- International Studies – European Focus
- East-Central European Studies Program
- CES Internship Program
- Study Abroad