- Emeritus Faculty
- Extension Faculty
- Ahn, Soohyoun, Ph.D.
- Archer, Douglas L., Ph.D.
- Baker, George L., Ph.D.
- Bartoshuk, Linda M., Ph.D.
- Borum, Peggy R., Ph.D.
- Cagampang, Gloria, Ph.D.
- Collins, James F., Ph.D.
- Cousins, Robert John, Ph.D.
- Dahl, Wendy J., Ph.D.
- Danyluk, Michelle D., Ph.D.
- Goodrich Schneider, Renée, Ph.D.
- Gregory, Jesse F., Ph.D.
- Gu, Liwei, Ph.D.
- Kauwell, Gail Ph.D., RDN, LDN
- Kendall Casella, Anne, Ph.D.
- Knutson, Mitchell D., Ph.D.
- Kowalewska, Agata, Ph.D., R.D.
- Langkamp-Henken, Bobbi, Ph.D.
- Marshall, Maurice R., Ph.D.
- Mathews, Anne E. Ph.D., R.D.N.
- McMahon, Pamela S., Ph.D.
- Percival, Susan S., Ph.D.
- Rampersaud, Gail, M.S., R.D.N., L.D.N.
- Sarnoski, Paul, Ph.D.
- Schneider, Keith R., Ph.D.
- Sims, Charles A., Ph.D.
- Sitren, Harry S., Ph.D.
- Turner, Elaine, Ph.D.
- Wright, Anita, Ph.D.
- Yang, Weihua (Wade), Ph.D.
- Graduate Students
- Postdoctoral Associates
Bartoshuk, Linda M., Ph.D.
Bushnell Professor bartoshuk 175x202
University of Florida
Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences
Food Science and Human Nutrition
572 Newell Drive, Room 403
P.O. Box 110370
Phone: 352-392-1991 x213
UF Smell & Taste Center Office:
UF Smell and Taste Center
McKnight Brain Institute
- Ph.D. Brown University; Psychology, 1965
- M.S. Brown University; Psychology, 1963
- B.A. Carleton College; Psychology (Minors: Mathematics, Astronomy), 1960
Dr. Bartoshuk studies sensory perception of foods (e.g., taste, olfaction and irritation/pain). She and her students have developed new measurement techniques for quantifying sensations as well as the pleasure/displeasure these sensations evoke. Traditional sensory evaluation compares samples (e.g., is coffee A better than coffee B?). The new techniques permit valid comparisons of consumers (e.g., is coffee liked better by women than men?). Her lab discovered supertasters (individuals who experience unusually intense tastes) and studies the consequences of taste pathology (e.g., taste damage can lead to weight gain). Most recently, Dr. Bartoshuk has collaborated with horticulturists to connect sensory variation in fruit with variation in fruit palatability.
- Association for Psychological Science, William James Fellow Award, 2013
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), John P. McGovern Award in Behavioral Sciences, 2011
- American Psychological Association, Hilgard Award for General Psychology, 2009
- International Flavors and Fragrances Award for Innovative Research, 2004
- National Academy of Sciences, elected 2003; Council member, 2008-2011
- Honorary degree (Doctor of Science), Carleton College, awarded June 9, 2001
- Association for Chemoreception Sciences, Max Mozell Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Chemical Senses, 1998
- The American Academy of Arts and Sciences, elected 1995
- Society for Experimental Psychologists, elected 1995
- Monell Chemical Senses Institute, Manheimer Award, 1990
- Yale University, M.A. Prizatim, 1985
- Pepper Neuroscience Investigator Award, 1984-1992
- National Sigma Xi Lecturer, 1980-1983
- Gordon Conference on Chemical Senses, Chair, 1978
- Natick Army Labs, Scientific Director’s Silver Key Award, 1970
- National Science Foundation and Public Health Services Pre-doctoral Fellowships (1960-64)
- Sigma Xi
- Phi Beta Kappa
- National Merit Scholarship, 1956-60
Bartoshuk, L.M., Marino, S., Snyder, D.J., & Stamps, J. (2013, in press). Head trauma, taste damage and weight gain. Chemical Senses.
Bartoshuk, L.M., Blandon, A., Clark, D.G., Colquhoun, T.A., Hudson, S., Klee, H.J., . . . Tieman, D.M. (2013). Retronasal olfaction/taste (volatiles/sweetness) interactions in tomatoes. Chemical Senses, 38, 279.
Williams, J., Herrera, D., Bartoshuk, L.M., & Fillingim, R.B. (2011). Exploring Ethnic Differences in Taste and Pain Perception. Paper presented at the International Association of Dental Research/Amerian Association of Dental Research 89th General Session, San Diego.
Teller, A.S., Wiener, H.J., Bartoshuk, L.M., & Marino, S.E. (2011, in press). Variations in bitter taste perception between moral vegetarians and non-vegetarians. Chemical Senses.
Stamps, J.J., & Bartoshuk, L.M. (2011). Rescuing flavor perception in the elderly. Chemical Senses, 31, A32-A33.
Bartoshuk, L.M., Blandon, A., Bliss, P.L., Clark, D.G., Colquhoun, T.A., Klee, H. J., . . . Tieman, D.M. (2011). Better tomatoes through psychophysics. Chemical Senses, 36, A118.
Stamps, J. J., Bartoshuk, L. M., & Snyder, D. J. (2009). Taste loss, retronasal olfaction loss and reduced food liking. Chemical Senses, 34, A38.
Stamps, J. J., & Bartoshuk, L. M. (2010). Trigeminal input may compensate for taste loss during flavor perception. Chemical Senses, 35, A24,25.
Snyder, D. J., Catalanotto, F. A., Antonelli, P. A., & Bartoshuk, L. M. (2009). Oral disinhibition varies with taster status: unilateral anterior oral anesthesia produces asymmetric posterior taste loss in nontasters. Chemical Senses, 34, A3.
Rawal, S., Bartoshuk, L. M., Coldwell, S. E., Hayes, J. E., Hoffman, H. J., Minski, K. R., et al. (2010). NIH Toolbox: Proposed assessment of taste function and phenotype. Chemical Senses, 35(7), A18.
Minski, K. R., Bartoshuk, L. M., Hayes, J. E., Hoffman, H. J., Rawal, S., & Duffy, V. B. (2010). NIH Toolbox: Proposed food liking survery. Chemical Senses, 35(7), A20.
Logan, H. L., Bartoshuk, L. M., Mayo, V. D., & Mendenhall, W. M. (2009). Taste damage following radiation treatment for head and neck cancer. Chemical Senses, 34, A23.
Kalva, J., Sims, C., Bartoshuk, L., & Puentes, L. (2009). Comparison of the hedonic general Labeled Magnitude Scale to the hedonic 9-point scale. Paper presented at the Annual meeting of the Institute of Food Technology.
Cruickshanks, K. J., Schubert, C. R., Snyder, D. J., Bartoshuk, L. M., Huang, G.-H., Klein, B. E. K., et al. (2009). Intensity of 6-n-propylthiouracil (PROP) taste, food preferences, and obesity: The Beaver Dam Offspring Study. Chemical Senses, 34, A52.
Catalanotto, F. A., Broe, E. T., Bartoshuk, L. M., Mayo, V. D., & Snyder, D. J. (2009). Otitis media and intensification of non-taste oral sensations. Chemical Senses, 34, A120.
Bartoshuk, L. M., Kalva, J. J., Puentes, L. A., Snyder, D. J., & Sims, C. A. (2010). Valid comparisons of food preferences. Chemical Senses, 35(7), A20.
Bartoshuk, L. M., Catalanotto, F. A., Duffy, V. B., Grushka, M., Mayo, V. D., Skarulis, M. C., et al. (2009). Taste damage associated with otitis media. Chemical Senses, 34, A119.