- Courtesy Faculty
- Emeritus Faculty
- Extension Faculty
- Acosta, Laura MS, RDN, CSSD, LDN
- Ahn, Soohyoun, Ph.D.
- Archer, Douglas L., Ph.D.
- Baker, George L., Ph.D.
- Bartoshuk, Linda M., Ph.D.
- Borum, Peggy R., Ph.D.
- Cagampang, Gloria, Ph.D.
- Collins, James F., Ph.D.
- Cousins, Robert John, Ph.D.
- Dahl, Wendy J., Ph.D.
- Danyluk, Michelle D., Ph.D.
- Gankofskie, Beth, PhD., RDN
- Goodrich Schneider, Renée, Ph.D.
- Gregory, Jesse F., Ph.D.
- Gu, Liwei, Ph.D.
- Kauwell, Gail Ph.D., RDN, LDN
- Knutson, Mitchell D., Ph.D.
- Kowalewska, Agata, Ph.D., R.D.
- Langkamp-Henken, Bobbi, Ph.D., R.D.
- Marshall, Maurice R., Ph.D.
- Mathews, Anne E. Ph.D., R.D.N.
- Percival, Susan S., Ph.D.
- Rampersaud, Gail, M.S., R.D.N., L.D.N.
- Sarnoski, Paul, Ph.D.
- Schneider, Keith R., Ph.D.
- Sims, Charles A., Ph.D.
- Sitren, Harry S., Ph.D.
- Turner, Elaine, Ph.D.
- von Castel-Roberts, Kristina, Ph.D., RDN, LDN
- Wang, Yu, Ph.D.
- Wright, Anita, Ph.D.
- Yang, Weihua (Wade), Ph.D.
- Graduate Students
- Postdoctoral Associates
Langkamp-Henken, Bobbi, Ph.D., R.D.
572 Newell Dr.
P.O. Box 110370
Gainesville, FL 32611-0370
Phone: 352.392.1991 ext. 205
- Postdoctoral Fellowship. University of Tennessee; Memphis and Veterans Affairs Medical Center
- Ph.D. University of Tennessee; Physiology
- B.S. Mount Mary College, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
The goal of the Henken lab is to develop novel approaches to examine dietary modulation of gastrointestinal and immune function in the maintenance of overall health and wellbeing of children and adults. Animal studies demonstrate that immune function can be modulated by dietary intake; however, these effects are subtle and difficult to measure in healthy humans. Stressful periods of life, such as during academic exams, or advanced age, are times when diet-induced changes in gastrointestinal and immune function may be more easily measured. Current studies examine the impact of select nutrients, fiber, and probiotics on intestinal and immune health.
HUN 3403 Nutrition Through the Life Cycle
ALS 4932 Mentoring the Scientific Process
FOS 6915 Research Planning
HUN 6936 Research Projects in Nutrition and Dietetics
Headrick LB, Rowe CC, Kendall AR, Zitt MA, Bolton DL, Langkamp-Henken B. Adults in all body mass index categories underestimate daily energy requirements. J Nutr Educ Behav. 2013 Sep-Oct;45(5):460-5. Note: this publication was completed by students taking Dr.Henken’s course FOS6915 – Research Planning.
Langkamp-Henken B, Nieves C, Jr., Culpepper T, Radford A, Girard SA, Hughes C, Christman MC, Mai V, Dahl WJ, et al. Fecal lactic acid bacteria increased in adolescents randomized to whole-grain but not refined-grain foods, whereas inflammatory cytokine production decreased equally with both interventions. J Nutr. 2012 Nov;142(11):2025-32.
Salmean YA, Segal MS, Langkamp-Henken B, Canales MT, Zello GA, Dahl WJ. Foods with added fiber lower serum creatinine levels in patients with chronic kidney disease. J Ren Nutr. 2013 Mar;23(2):e29-32.
Ryu MS, Langkamp-Henken B, Chang SM, Shankar MN, Cousins RJ. Genomic analysis, cytokine expression, and microRNA profiling reveal biomarkers of human dietary zinc depletion and homeostastis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011 Dec 27;108(52):20970-5.
Hughes C, Davoodi-Semiromi Y, Colee JC, Culpepper T, Dahl WJ, Mai V, Christman MC, Langkamp-Henken B. Galactooligosaccharide supplementation reduces stress-induced gastrointestinal dysfunction and days of cold or flu: a randomized, double-blind, controlled trial in healthy university students. Am J Clin Nutr. 2011 Jun;93(6):1305-11.