- Text-only version of this website
- Skip navigation
- Home page
- What's new
- Contact Webmaster
- Website policies
- Disability services
- UF Health Home
Healing UF Health at Gainesville
- UF Health Shands Hospital
- UF Health Shands Cancer Hospital
- Shands Emergency & Trauma
- UF Health Shands Children's Hospital
- UF Health Shands Rehab Hospital
- UF Health Shands Psychiatric Hospital
- Learning UF&Shands Gainesville
Discovery UF Health at Gainesville
- Research Studies
- Genetics Institute
- Institute on Aging
- McKnight Brain Institute
- UF Diabetes Institute
- Community UF Health at Gainesville
- visit University of Florida
- Rounding System
- Playbooks for Different Teams
- Frequently asked questions
What are Gatorounds?
Gatorounds is a patient-centered rounding system that applies championship athletic principles to health care. We are applying the lessons learned by the University of Florida's premier football, basketball, and volleyball coaches to the care of our patients.
- A team approach to patient care focusing on the patient as the team owner.
- Participation of bedside nurses, case manager, and pharmacist in work round management decisions.
- Emphasis on spending time communicating with each patient with the bedside nurse present (rounds in the room when possible)
- Work rounds consistently under 2 hours. This requires:
- Succinct and highly targeted verbal communication protocols that are problem based.
- Proper allocation of time for all patients (approximate allocation per patient = 120 min/patient number.
- Improved patient flow by planning discharges the night before and having the attending see the patients before work rounds to assure discharge by 10 AM.
- Ordering of new tests and procedures etc at the bedside using the portable computer
- Everyone must understand their specific role on the team
It takes teamwork to achieve the highest standards of care
Please view this instructional video to learn the key elements of Gatorounds:
Patient care means delivering care in the best possible system. If the system fails we appear uncaring Don’t our patients deserve the same standards of quality as our championship athletic teams?
Gatorounds is a carefully orchestrated system that eliminates ambiguity, improves efficiency, reduces errors, and fosters teamwork. To date the system has only been adapted to General Internal Medicine. However, we […]