What research is available at UF, Shands, or the VA?
The University of Florida, Shands Hospitals, and North Florida/South Georgia Veteran Health Systems (NFSGVHS) have many different types of research available. This includes not only medical clinical trials (such as experimental treatments for specific diseases/conditions), but also research on everything from gene therapy, psychological conditions, dentistry studies, physical therapy, biology/pathology, general population studies, to numerous other studies.
The Institutional Review Board’s (IRB) primary mission is to protect the rights and welfare of the subjects / participants in research studies. The IRB does not inform potential subjects or referring physicians about available research studies.
However, if you are interested in learning more about what research is available at UF, Shands, or the NFSGVHS, you need to contact the appropriate department to learn what studies are currently open and enrolling new subjects. You can call the hospital operators at the numbers below and ask to speak to someone in the deparment you are interested in:
UF&Shands operator = (352) 265-0111
NFSGVHS operator = (352) 376-1611
In addition, information can also be found on the internet at:
- Research at the UF College of Dentistry
- Research at the UF College of Health and Human Performance
- Research at the UF College of Medicine
- Research at the UF College of Nursing
- Research at the University Of Florida Health Cancer Center
The NFSGVHS has helpful information for veterans considering research at:
Should you volunteer to participate in research?
- Researcher Responsibilities
- Investigator Guidelines
- IRB Review of Grant Applications
- Psychology Information
- Faster Submission Processing
- QA/QI vs Research
- Drug Research
- VA Research
- Full Board Meeting Information
- Student Roles & PI Qualifications
- Research Records and Data Retention
- Information Security in Research
- Tissue Banking at UF: Office of Research Flow Chart and Guidance Document
- Template & IRB Forms
- Helpful Links
- HIPAA Home
- UF QI Program