FERPA Information for use of Educational Records in Research
Those who wish to obtain data from educational records beyond directory information, for the purposes of research, are generally limited to three options:
1. The researcher may contact and obtain written consent for each individual (or their parents) whose records will be accessed for research purposes;
2. A school official with legitimate access (other than the researcher) may strip the records of any identifying information and provide the data to the researcher; or
3. The holder of the record may invoke an exception to FERPA in order to release the records to the researcher.
When planning to conduct research involving educational records, the FERPA exception letter should be submitted to the Institutional Review Board (IRB) along with the IRB application.
- In most cases involving educational records held by elementary and secondary schools, this letter should come from the school district’s superintendent.
- The University Registrar is usually the official from whom this letter should come for research involving educational records held by a university.
The use of personal, identifiable data for research purposes must always be approved by the IRB prior to the researcher obtaining access to such data.
- Contact Us
- Deadlines for Full Board Review
- Directions to IRB02 Office
- Required Training for IRB-02
- Other Resources
- Report Non-Compliance to IRB-02
- Web-Based Submission Tracking for Paper Studies within IRB-02
Investigator Information & Guidelines
- myIRB Phase-in Announcement
- Preparing to Submit a Study for Review in myIRB
- Types of Study Review by the IRB
- Converting Paper Studies to myIRB
- FERPA Information for use of Educational Records in Research
- Lotteries and “Random Awards” as Incentives for Research Participation
- Guidelines for Revising an Approved Study
- Definition of Terms Used in IRB02 Documents
- Student Roles & PI Qualifications for IRB-02
- Use of Amazon Mechanical Turk (MTurk) for social/behavioral Research Projects
- Informed Consent Instructions & Procedures
- Adverse Event Reporting Form
- Clinical Trials Assessment Form
- Continuing Review/Study Closure Form
- Cumulative Adverse Event Table for Continuing Review
- Cumulative Deviation Table for Continuing Review
- Debriefing Form: Sample
- Deviation/Non-Compliance Reporting Form
- Legacy Paper Study Submission Form
- Legacy Paper Study Revision Form
- myIRB Protocol Submission Form
- Unaffiliated Investigator IRB02