Skip to main Content Local Links Search Main Navigation Quick Links Resources Website Social Address What is this view
Home myIRB Selecting the Requested Review Type
Selecting the Requested Review Type
- Choose a non-human review if you are receiving de-identified samples or data for analysis. The data cannot contain any of the HIPAA identifiers including dates. If the data is coded or if the person giving you the data or samples has any identifiers a Confidentiality Agreement between the PI and the person supplying the data or samples is required
- Retrospective Data/Chart Review
- Choose this review type if you are looking at records, data, or specimens that already exist. You can examine PHI with this review type. This review type branches down two paths: the exempt review and the expedited review. If you answer the questions, the program will present the appropriate path
- Exempt Data/Chart Review
- You can access records that contain PHI but you cannot maintain a link to any identifier in the research record. This means all dates must be recorded as ages and time periods, you cannot re-access the information, and you cannot record any other identifier. One way to achieve this is to have a list of potential record numbers, upon accessing the record, immediately redact that number from the list. Once you have a completely redacted list, shred the list. In this way no link ever exists
- Expedited Data/Chart Review
- The big difference is you can keep the link to an identifier while you are recording data. This allows you to link multiple sources and double check incomplete data. You still must de-identify the data at the end of the study, and you must state your plan to de-identify the data in your study description. This type of study does require a full waiver of consent and a waiver of HIPAA authorization
- Banking ONLY Review
- The Banking Only review type if for any local bank (tissue, data, future contact registries) and any non-local bank that is not part of another study (banking only). At UF all local banks must be submitted as stand-alone projects, and must use this path.
- Exempt Review
- This path is primarily used for anonymous survey studies or any other study that fits an exempt category but is not better described in one of the paths previously mentioned. Do not submit record reviews using this path.
- Expedited Review
- This path is for minimal risk studies. Do not submit record reviews using this path.
- Full Board Review
- Greater than minimal risk studies or anything that does not fit in any other review category.
What is this view?
You are using a dynamic assistive view of the University of Florida site. It has all the same data and features of the original site but formatted just with assistive users in mind. It has links and content reorganized to aid assistive users and has controls at the bottom under assistive options that allow you to control key aspects such as font size and contrast colors etc.
This is not a separate text-only site, it's a dynamic view that uses unique technology from Usablenet to give assistive users better, more accessible access to the same content and features as all users that use the graphic view of the site.