Microbiology & Cell Science Online B.S. Degree
The Department of Microbiology and Cell Science offers a B.S. degree online through the College of Agricultural and Life Sciences. The curriculum supplies students with a strong basic science foundation, which will allow for professional careers in microbiology, or help prepare students for a future application to professional programs such as medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, veterinary science, or graduate school. In addition, the coursework will also meet the prerequisite requirements for most professional school programs in the United States.
With an enrollment of approximately 1,000 undergraduate majors, we are one of the largest undergraduate science programs at the University of Florida, and the largest microbiology program in the country. The same professional faculty that instructs for the on-campus program are responsible for teaching all online departmental lecture courses, allowing distance students to enjoy the same respected and rigorous education as our on-campus cohort. Academically qualified students with interests in research are encouraged to participate in faculty research programs through the Undergraduate Research course.
The faculty's research programs span areas of broad interest in the cellular and molecular aspects bacterial, plant and animal life functions. Departmental areas of research include:
- Microbial physiology, metabolism and regulation
- Molecular biology
- Molecular genetics
- Host-pathogen interactions
- Cellular ultrastructure
- Environmental microbiology
Support for the programs scholarships and research experiences provided by the National Science Foundation.
National Science Foundation: Where Discoveries Begin
Award Name: A STEP Up for the Life Sciences: Strengthening a Research University/Minority-serving Community College Partnership
Development of a Distance Education Program by a Land-Grant University Augments the 2-Year to 4-Year STEM Pipeline and Increases Diversity in STEM by Dr. Eric Triplett and Dr. Jennifer Drew
Award ID: DUE-1161177
How much does it cost?
University of Florida’s tuition and fees are the lowest among public universities that are members of the American Association of Universities (AAU). SmartMoney published an article in 2011 titled “ Colleges That Help Grads Get Top Salaries.” The article ranked UF as third overall.
Tuition rates for all University of Florida students are subject to change each fall semester. The online program is delivered to students at the in-state tuition rate of $208.77 per credit hour as of Summer 2015. This amount can vary for elective courses offered by other departments at the University.
Student Admission Criteria
The Microbiology and Cell Science program was originally designed to be a “2 + 2” program specifically for transfer students seeking to graduate with an Associate’s degree and enter UF as a junior/senior.
To be eligible for admission, students must:
- Earn an associate of arts degree with a minimum 2.0 GPA (as calculated by UF) OR;
- Have 60 transferable hours for students transferring from private institutions, four-year institutions, or institutions outside of Florida with a minimum 2.0 GPA.
- Vocational coursework is not accepted.
- An applicant lacking some prerequisites may be permitted to enroll and to complete these courses if all other requirements for admission are met and if recommended by the college
- Students must also have completed the following courses with a 2.5 or higher GPA as calculated by UF:
- Biology 1 and 2 with Lab,
- Chemistry 1 and 2 with lab, and
- Calculus with Analytical Geometry.
- Similar courses may be accepted in place of these requirements at the discretion of the College of Agricultural and Life Sciences.
- Follow an approved general education program of at least 36 semester hours.
- Complete two years of sequential high school foreign language courses or 8-10 hours of sequential college-level foreign language courses (or documentation of an equivalent level of proficiency).
- Students MUST submit a transcript from each institution attended, regardless of length of attendance or credit earned. Additional transcripts are required as soon as they are available for any work completed after applying to UF.
- A minimum C average, as computed by the university. Any student who has failed to maintain a 2.0 GPA at another institution after completing the AA degree is not eligible for admission.
- Post Baccalaureate Students who have already earned a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution are permitted to apply for Post-Baccalaureate status. They must meet the same criteria as stated above.
The Department of Microbiology & Cell Science provides personalized advising services to all online students. Our advisers can answer questions during the application process, can answer questions about the required prerequisites, and will help you to plan your course of study throughout the program.
The primary academic adviser for the distance education Microbiology & Cell Science Bachelor of Science degree is:
Online Microbiology & Cell Science BS Program
University of Florida
☎ 352-729-3482 | ✉ email@example.com
Department of Microbiology and Cell Science
P.O. Box 110700
Gainesville, FL 32611-0700