- About Home
- Military Heritage
- Campus Slideshow
- Did You Know
- Board of Trustees
- University President
- University Provost
- Executive Leadership
- Faculty Senate
- Staff Senate
- Organizational Chart
One phrase that comes up again and again when talking to anyone related to the University is “the Clemson Family.” From the beginning it has been about family.
It’s because of the Calhoun and Clemson families’ generosity and vision for the future that Clemson University came to be.
John C. Calhoun and Floride Bonneau Colhoun Calhoun — John C. Calhoun moved to what is now called the city of Clemson in 1825 — and the blueprint for the region was forever changed. During his lifetime, John C. Calhoun served in the S.C. Legislature, the U.S. Congress and the Cabinet, and he twice served as U.S. vice president. It was his estate that ultimately became Clemson University after Mrs. Calhoun left it to their daughter Anna Maria, who then left it to her husband, Thomas Green Clemson.
Anna Maria Calhoun Clemson — Graceful and interested in politics, Anna married Thomas G. Clemson at age 21. Upon her death, it was her wish that her husband preserve her father’s house and use the land for a state agricultural college.
Thomas Green Clemson — Recognized as the father of this extended family, Thomas Clemson had a great impact on our country’s politics, serving as an ambassador to Belgium under four U.S. presidents and then as the first secretary of agriculture. It was after Clemson married into the Calhoun family that his interests in agriculture grew. Upon his death in 1888, he left his estate and his fortune for the betterment of education in South Carolina.
In his will, Thomas Green Clemson left the Fort Hill plantation and a large part of his personal estate to establish what would become Clemson University.
In November 1889, Gov. John Peter Richardson signed the bill accepting Thomas Clemson’s gift, which established the Clemson Agricultural College, with its trustees becoming custodians of Morrill Act and Hatch Act funds made available for agricultural education and research purposes by federal legislative acts.
Initially an all-male military school, Clemson Agricultural College opened in July 1893 with 446 students. Clemson became a coeducational institution in 1955 when the college moved to “civilian” status for students. Expanded academic offerings and research pursuits led the way for the college to be renamed Clemson University in 1964.
Open the original version of this page.