“Cemetery Hill,” as it’s lovingly called, was the idea of Clemson’s former president Walter Merritt Riggs. Riggs came to the Clemson Agricultural College in 1896 as an assistant professor of mechanical and electrical engineering. It didn’t take him long to develop a fierce loyalty to the school, of which he was confirmed president in 1911.
In 1922, he sought to recognize faculty and college administrators for their service by creating a faculty cemetery. Two years later, the Board approved the idea and named it “The Woodland Cemetery.” Land chosen was that adjacent to the Calhoun family plots.
Open the original version of this page.