General Counsel and Assistant to the President
The General Counsel of the University is responsible for:
- Giving advice and counsel (both legal and non-legal);
- Support of the President in the formulation of policies and goals;
- Assisting University Vice Presidents in the formulation of administrative policies, and provide legal advice as needed;
- Providing legal advice to all deans, directors, and department heads as needed;
- Assisting the Athletic Department in the formulation of policies and the management of NCAA compliance issues; and
- Managing the work of outside counsel employed to represent the University in legal matters.
On behalf of the South Carolina Attorney General, the General Counsel coordinates all University legal matters. Legal issues include labor relations, contract negotiations, patent matters, affirmative action matters, environmental issues, student affairs, conflicts of interest and ethical issues, real estate issues, gifts and development, construction issues, records access and privacy issues, and litigation.