Risk Management

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: I have been injured on the job. What is the first thing I need to do?
A: The first thing to do is to notify your supervisor or department head immediately. Any injury, no matter how slight, must be reported. If you or your supervisor judges that medical attention is needed, the supervisor must call ComPendium Services at 1-877-709-2667 to report the injury and assist in completing the First Report of Injury. You will be referred to Redfern Health Center. In the event of life or limb-threatening emergencies, treatment should be sought at the nearest emergency facility. More on the procedures for reporting Workers' Compensation can be found here.

If the employee does not wish to seek medical treatment at the time of the injury, the employee's supervisor should complete the First Report of Injury and forward to the Office of Risk Management. In the event the employee must seek medical attention for the injury at a later date, the supervisor must advise the Office of Risk Management, who will then contact Compendium to report the work injury. This will avoid a late penalty charge to the department by the South Carolina Worker's Compensation Commission. 

Q: If I operate a motor vehicle for official University business and get in an accident, are my injuries covered by Clemson?
A: Clemson University employees operating a Clemson University-owned motor vehicle while on official University business are covered as follows under university policies:

  • Auto Liability - Combined single limit, bodily injury and property damage - $600,000 per occurrence
  • Workers Compensation - as required by S.C. State statute
B: Employees operating their personal automobile on official Clemson University business are covered under workers’ compensation insurance for injuries sustained in an automobile accident. The employees’ personal automobile insurance will be responsible for any property damage or bodily injury they cause to other parties. The university’s automobile insurance will be considered excess coverage over the employees’ coverage.

Q: What is the best way to contact the Office of Risk Management with general questions?
A: Contact Risk Management at 864-656-3354.

Utility Links


Text Only Options

Top of page

Text Only Options

Open the original version of this page.

Usablenet Assistive is a UsableNet product. Usablenet Assistive Main Page.