College of Architecture, Arts and Humanities

Undergraduate Advising

Academic advising is an ongoing process in the School of Architecture that gives its majors the opportunity to shape their architectural education to suit their individual needs within the context of a holistic Clemson University education.

Each architecture major is assigned and academic advisor to assist them in interpreting University academic policies and procedures. Students are encouraged to work with their assigned advisor as they develop and refine their academic plan for completing the BA in Architecture degree requirements  and schedule their semester courses. It is the responsibility of each student to fulfill all degree requirements for graduation.

Both the College of Architecture, Arts & Humanities and Clemson University maintain individual advising web sites, and the undergraduate catalog provides the degree requirements for the Bachelor of Arts in Architecture. Students should familiarize themselves with the material on these web sites and inside the catalog:

Academic Advisors

Each architecture major is assigned to a School of Architecture faculty member who also serves as an undergraduate academic advisor. Below is a list of the current academic advisors along with their contact information. Each advisor is asked to post office hours outside their office door for the purpose letting students know when they are available to discuss advising issues.

Faculty AdvisorOfficeEmail Address
Sallie Hambright-Belue Lee 3-121 shambri@clemson.edu
Ulrike Heine Lee 3-106 ulheine@clemson.edu
David Lee Lee 3-102 dlee2@clemson.edu
Rob Silance Lee 1-159 silancr@clemson.edu
Dustin Albright Lee 1-157 dalbrig@clemson.edu

There are times when matters will keep advisors from their posted office hours. In the event that a student is unable to make timely contact with their assigned advisor, they can contact Sallie Hambright-Belue or Rob Silance, Co-Directors of Undergraduate Studies in the School of Architecture, or contact Michelle McLane in room 3-129 for assistance.

If you do not remember your assigned advisor, contact Sallie Hambright-Belue at shambri@clemson.edu

Curriculum Requirements

The University provides each student with the ability to track completion of degree requirement through the Degree Progress Report (DPR). This is available to each student any time through the Student Information System (SIS). Students should read through their DPR thoroughly to become familiar with all curriculum requirements.

The Bachelor of Arts in Architecture degree has four sets of degree requirements as listed below. These are used in organizing course requirements in the DPR.

General Education Requirements ( Undergraduate Catalog)

  • English Composition – 3 credits (ENGL 103)
  • Oral Communications – 3 credits (1 credit each in ARCH 151, ARCH 251 and ARCH 252)
  • Mathematics – 3 credits (MTHSC 106)
  • Natural Science with Lab – 4 credits (PHYS 207/209)
  • Mathematics or Natural Science – 3 credits (BIOSC 203)
  • Humanities Literature – 3 credits (ENGL 212)
  • Humanities Non-Literature – 3 credits (AAH 101)
  • Social Science – Two courses in different areas from the approved list of Social Science requirements.
  • Language – Only three semesters counted (need to complete through 202)
  • Cross Cultural Awareness – IS 101 for students studying broad, or a course from approved list in the Undergraduate Catalog
  • Science and Technology in Society – BIOSC 203
  • E-Portfolio – Requirement starting with 06/07 curriculum year

Major Requirements

  • Introductory Courses – 6 credits (ARCH 101, BIOSC 203)
  • Studio – 41 credits (ARCH 151, 251, 252, three semesters of any combination of 351, 352, 353 354, or 355 and 452)
  • History/Theory – 9 credits (AAH 102, 204, plus one of the following from the off-campus programs: ARCH 403, 404, 405, or 412)
  • Technology – 6 credits (CSM 201 plus on of the following from the off-campus programs: ARCH 414, 477)
  • Portfolio – 3 credits (ARCH 401)

Minor Requirements - (See "Minors" in the Undergraduate Catalog)

  • Architecture majors should declare their minor no later than the Spring Semester of their sophomore year to make sure all minor requirements are completed in a timely fashion. To declare your minor, email Sallie Hambright-Belue at shambri@clemson.edu or Rob Silance at silancr@clemson.edu with your Clemson ID # and the specific title of your minor. Once you have declared your minor, you need to find out who your advisor is for the minor. All questions concerning the minor should be directed to your minor advisor. All prerequisites for courses in the minor must be satisfied.


  • Elective courses are those courses that do not fulfill specific general education, major or minor course requirements.

Academic Plan

Students should develop their own academic plan that indicates specific courses they will be taking each semester through completion of their degree requirements. Simply checking off courses on the Degree Progress Report or courses in the published curriculum does not give a good indication if a student is on track for graduation, meeting scholarship requirements, or missing opportunities to take course work that would be of unique benefit or interest.

An academic plan that is well developed by the student and reviewed by the academic advisor can have the following benefits:

  • Make sure that a students is maintaining the necessary hours in order to meet specific scholarship requirements.
  • Allow a student to look ahead a whole year or more to make sure courses needed are currently being taught in the appropriate semester. This is especially important in regards to meeting minor requirements.
  • Indicate specific courses related to the minor where not specified by the minor description.
  • Indicate possible semesters for off-campus studies.
  • Indicates semesters when credit hours may be low, allowing students to take elective course work of particular interest.
  • Assists the student and academic advisor in making sure that all graduation requirements will be met by the anticipated graduation date.
View a sample Academic Plan here.

Fluid Campus

During the junior year, architecture majors are required to participate in the Fluid Campus program. Opportunities currently exist for students to study in one of three locations including Charleston, South Carolina; Barcelona, Spain; and Genova, Italy. The fall semester of the junior year in the Bachelor of Arts in Architecture degree program is the curriculum that is offered at all the off-campus study locations.

In the Barcelona and Genoa locations, a fixed curriculum has been established in which all students must be enrolled.

Study Abroad Curriculum (Genoa & Barcelona)

Studio (6 credits)    ARCH 353 – Studio Genova    Section 600   
ARCH 354 – Studio Barcelona    Section 601   
Hist/Thry Req.    ARCH 412 – History Seminar    Section 600, Genoa   
Section 601, Barcelona   
Technology Req.    ARCH 414 – Design Seminar    Section 600, Genoa   
Section 601, Barcelona   
Elective    ARCH 416 – Field Studies    Section 600, Genoa   
Section 601, Barcelona   

Students may receive credit for their Cross Cultural Awareness requirement, if they have not already done so, by enrolling in IS 101 in the semester following their study abroad experience. Information pertaining to this course can be found at the following website. Read about IS 101 on this web page.

Clemson Architecture Center in Charleston (CACC)

Studio (6 credits)    ARCH 352 – Studio Charleston (Studio U)    Section 400   
ARCH 354 – Studio Charleston (Studio V)    Section 401   
Hist/Thry Req.    ARCH 499 – History Seminar    Section 400   
Technology Req.    ARCH 477 – Introduction to Craft    Section 400   
Section 601, Barcelona   
See list of elective courses offered at the CACC (rightmost column of the Charleston page), or courses can be taken on the College of Charleston campus as long as a student in enrolled in 12 credit hours of course work at the CACC.   

For more information:

Year Level Recommendations

Reminder: It is the responsibility of each student to fulfill all degree requirements for graduation.


  • Get to know your academic advisor early, before you actually need them.
  • Become familiar with scholarship requirements. Information about scholarships administered through the Office of Financial Aid can be found on their website.
  • Establish a strong grade point ratio (GPR) over your freshman year to assure continuance of any scholarship(s) that you may have.
  • Develop an individualized academic plan that lists all required courses for graduation.
  • Explore options for your minor (see minors list in the undergraduate catalog).
  • Consider where you would like to do your off-campus studies.
  • Make sure all AP, IB and Transfer credit is listed on your Degree Progress Report (DPR).
  • Look into joining the American Institute of Architects Student (AIAS) chapter as a way of getting involved in the School of Architecture.


  • Update your academic plan to be ready for off-campus studies in your junior year.
  • Complete all requirements from your freshman year.
  • Declare your minor preferably in the fall semester. Find out who the advisor is for your minor.
  • Apply to off-campus studies program.


  • Update your academic plan in preparation for graduation.
  • Complete all course requirements from your sophomore year.
  • Explore options for after graduation with your advisor.


  • Apply for the Intern Development Plan (IDP) if you are continuing on in a professional degree in architecture.
  • Apply for graduation.
  • Apply for graduate school and/or interview for professional positions.

Changing Majors

Enrolled students who wish to change majors must process a Change-of-Major form, available in Enrolled Student Services, 104 Sikes Hall. The form must be approved by both the current and new academic departments. Students should gain the acceptance of the new major department prior to disengaging from the current major. Student can perform a “What If” under the Degree Progress Report to see how current completed course work will apply to the new major.

Changing Majors Out of the School of Architecture

Students planning to change their major from architecture to another major should first visit with their assigned architecture academic advisor. Students should then contact the departmental office of their intended new major to make an appointment with an advisor to discuss the major requirements and their change of major procedures.

Changing Majors Into the School of Architecture

Changing your major to architecture is a competitive process and based on space availability.

A limited number of non-architecture majors are accepted into the Bachelor of Arts in Architecture degree program once per year, normally in late April. Candidates must have completed ARCH 101 and have a 2.7 overall GPR at the end of the fall semester. In addition they must be in the process of completing ARCH 151 during the spring semester. Students will be accepted into the major based on space availability and on their performances in the two courses listed above. Typically, there will be twice as many students competing for admission as there are spaces available. It is important to note that because of the seven course studio sequence, it could take up to three years to complete the undergraduate degree after being accepted into the architecture program.

Undergraduate students here at Clemson University who want to change their major to architecture should contact Sallie Hambright-Belue, Co-Director of Undergraduate Studies, at shambri@clemson.edu to make an appointment to discuss the change of major procedures in the School of Architecture in more detail and to see about being added to the ARCH 101 – Introduction to Architecture course for the fall semester.

Students not accepted into the major can complete an undergraduate degree in another major, minor in architecture, and apply to the Graduate School for admission to the Master of Architecture program. The length of the Master of Architecture degree program without an undergraduate degree in Architecture is three years.

Additional Resources

Utility Links


Assistive Options

Top of page

Assistive Options

Open the original version of this page.

Usablenet Assistive is a Usablenet product. Usablenet Assistive Main Page.