In January 2012, students and faculty found a new home in Lee III. Although the LEED Gold, zero-energy-ready building is already one of the most energy-efficient classroom buildings in the nation, it was designed to become be a completely "net-zero" energy consumer. This means that it will produce as much energy as it consumes. To complete the transition to zero-energy-operational, CAF seeks funding for a photovoltaic installation and other systems improvements, which will make Lee III become the building that teaches sustainability by example.
Make a Gift For information about givinig to CAF, please call Donna Carver, Director of Development, at 864-656-3904 or e-mail at email@example.com. To make an online gift now, click the "Make a Gift Today!" button.
Since 1958, Lee Hall has been the home of the School of Architecture, replacing its previous home in Riggs Hall. Named for campus architect Rudolph E. Lee (1874-1959), a graduate of Clemson University’s first class and faculty member of the School of Architecture for sixty years, Lee Hall was designed by Dean Harlan McClure and built in 1958. The building is one of the most elegant examples of mid-century modern architecture in the South, and "Old Lee" and adjacent Lowry Hall were placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2010.
In subsequent decades, Lee Hall became the home of a number of affiliated departments and programs, including the departments of Art, Landscape Architecture, City and Regional Planning, Construction Science and Management (CSM), Real Estate Development, and the PhD program in Planning, Design, and the Built Environment (PDBE). Lee Hall was expanded in 1975 to create the addition now known as "Lee II," which included the "Grad Tower," the former home of the graduate studios. It was expanded again in 1991.
In April 2010, ground was broken for Lee III (pictured above), a 55,000 s.f. building that is now the new home of the graduate architecture studios, faculty and administrative offices, as well as Landscape Architecture studios. Lee III was designed by Thomas Phifer and Partners and McMillan Pazdan Smith, assisted by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill (structural engineers) and Transolar (climate engineers). The building was completed in December 2011 and opened in January 2012.
Open the original version of this page.