College of Architecture, Arts and Humanities

Frequently Asked Questions

Dr. Paul Anderson's class

Annually, as many as 35% of incoming freshman enter college as an Undeclared major or its equivalent. These are students who haven't yet decided on a specific major field of study. At Clemson University, the Undeclared major is housed in the College of Architecture, Arts and Humanities, where students will find the resources and guidance they need to choose a specific major field of study.

Expand All | Collapse All
  • When can I declare my major?

    You can declare a major field of study at any time. Undeclared students are encouraged to declare a major by the end of their second semester at Clemson. Students are responsible for meeting the requirements for entry into their chosen major. When you declare your major, your university enrollment will be transferred to a department or school in one of the following five colleges: College of Agriculture, Forestry and Life Sciences - College of Architecture, Arts and Humanities - College of Business and Behavioral Sciences - College of Engineering and Science - College of Health, Education and Human Development.

  • If I am already a Clemson student, can I still change my major to Undeclared Humanities?

    Yes, as long as you have not completed more than 45 credit hours.

  • How does the Advising Center help undeclared students?

    First and foremost, we are here to listen to you, and to offer advice and information. Our advisors are available to meet with students and provide assistance in understanding university policies and procedures and determining their educational goals and academic and career direction. We are also here to help you use university resources to fulfill your goals. Your advisor may therefore sometimes refer you to other places on campus (for example, academic departments, the Michelin Career Center, or the Academic Success Center.)

  • Who will be my academic advisor?

    The Director of the Advising Center will be your academic advisor. Experienced graduate assistant counselors are also available to help students. Your advisor will help you plan your academic schedule, monitor your academic progress, help you select a major field of study, and refer you to other campus resources. Your advisor will be a valuable resource for you, and is willing to give you as much time and help as you need.

  • Will my advisor tell me what to major in?

    No! Your advisor will work with you to plan your courses, discuss potential majors, refer you to campus resources that will help you research academic programs, and talk about any other academic issues that may arise. Choosing a major is, however, a decision that you should make for yourself based on interests, personality, values and future goals. Your advisor's role is to assist you in learning more about yourself and applying this self-knowledge to choosing an academic program at Clemson.

  • If I'm undeclared, won't all of my courses end up as electives, rather than counting for my major?

    Your advisor will work with you to plan your courses so that you will complete university General Education requirements, as well as taking courses that will count towards a future major. You should be aware, however, that different majors have different requirements (even for General Education courses) and not everything that you take as an Undeclared student may apply to a major. If you have questions, contact your advisor!

  • How do I declare my major?

    Once you have decided on a major, the procedure for changing your major is relatively simple. Fill out all three parts of a yellow change-of-major card (available in our office or from Enrolled Student Records in 104 Sikes). You will need two signatures. First, from the program you'll be majoring in (the department chair or program director normally signs) and second from the Advisement Center (your "old major"). Then take the entire card to 104 Sikes. It takes several days for the change to be evident on your student record.

  • What are the requirements for changing into another major?

    Students are responsible for meeting the requirements of academic majors. Most majors will not accept changes-of-major from students on academic probation, and some set higher grade point averages than 2.0 for students changing their major. Consult the Undergraduate Announcements or this website for details specific to each major. Specific procedures are required for many different majors. Be sure to check with your advisor on majors you are interested in to see if they have different requirements.

  • What other benefits will I get from being an Undeclared Humanities major?

    As an undeclared student, you may be more fortunate than those students who know - or think they know - their educational goals and career directions. You will probably be less likely to change your field of study after declaring a major, and you will also have a much more extensive knowledge of career options. Most importantly, the practice you receive in decision-making and goal-setting will help you for the rest of your life.

  • How do I find out more information about the Undeclared Humanities major?

    You can email the director of the Advising Center, Lindsey Kovach, at lgillen@clemson.edu or call her at 864.656.4485. If you're on campus, feel free to stop by the office at any time. We're located in 105 Strode Tower and our office is open from 8:00- 4:30, Monday - Friday.

Utility Links


Text Only Options

Top of page

Text Only Options

Open the original version of this page.

Usablenet Assistive is a UsableNet product. Usablenet Assistive Main Page.