Redfern Health Center

CAPS Frequently Asked Questions

How do I make an appointment?

The best way to access CAPS services is through CUNow, a walk-in clinic where students are seen on a first-come, first-served basis. We ask that you plan on about an hour. It takes about 20 to 30 minutes to complete the initial paperwork. You will then see a counselor for a brief session.

What is CUNow?

CUNow refers to the CAPS walk-in clinic. It operates Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. A student can walk in, without an appointment, and be seen by a counselor for a brief triage session. You will be asked to complete the initial paperwork, which takes 20-30 minutes.

What should I expect for my CUNow visit?

Students are asked to complete the initial paperwork. This takes about 20 to 30 minutes. You will then see a counselor for a brief session — usually less than 30 minutes. During your time with the counselor, you will have an opportunity to talk about the concerns that brought you to CAPS. A brief assessment will be done, and you will receive recommendations for continued care.

Are my records confidential?

Absolutely. CAPS honors a student’s right to confidentiality, except where specified by law.

What are the exceptions to confidentiality under the law?

CAPS will honor the five exceptions to confidentiality as defined by law.

  1. When a student is a danger to self or others.
  2. When child abuse is suspected.
  3. When abuse to the elderly or the disabled is suspected.
  4. When CAPS is court-ordered to release the records.
  5. At all other times, a student must provide a written release of confidential information.

Will my counseling records be part of my academic records?

Mental health records are not part of the academic records.

Will CAPS tell my mother if I’m coming to CAPS?

CAPS will neither confirm nor deny if a student is receiving services at CAPS, even when well-intentioned third parties inquire. Unless of course, you give us consent, in writing, to disclose this information to someone of your choosing.

What is the cost?

When a student pays the health fee, he/she has access to the CAPS services at no cost. Some CAPS services carry a fee; these include: psychiatric consultation, nutritional counseling, psychological evaluations/testing and mandated ACTT assessments.

Is individual therapy better than group therapy?

Both modalities are good; however, you and your counselor can determine the optimal form of intervention.

How do I know if I need counseling?

Counseling is appropriate for anyone who is troubled by a specific problem or has a general concern. Most students will use their existing coping skills to resolve their concerns. If, after using these skills, a student is still struggling, then accessing professional services is recommended.

What if I need help after hours?

In case of emergency/crisis, students can access the CAPS counselor on call. Simply call Clemson University Police Department at 864-656-2222, and ask to speak to the CAPS counselor on call. You will be asked to give your name and phone number, and the counselor will call you back. This service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Is therapy offered in other languages besides English?

English is the main language of CAPS counselors. You can bring a translator if desired. At present, CAPS has counselors fluent in German and Spanish.

Does CAPS have Christian, Muslim, Jewish, etc. counselors?

Religious counseling is not provided by CAPS. However, if spirituality is a strength, or a concern, counselors will be sensitive to your inquiries.

Utility Links


Assistive Options

Top of page

Assistive Options

Open the original version of this page.

Usablenet Assistive is a Usablenet product. Usablenet Assistive Main Page.