CES Advising Center

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I choose my engineering major?

You will hear about the 10 engineering degree programs during one of your introductory engineering classes. You will also take a test that can be used to match your individual interests with your choice of engineering. Your academic advisor will help. You may also use the resources at the Center for Career and Professional Development to explore the various types of engineering.

What is General Engineering?

General Engineering is a first year program of foundation courses all students must complete to declare a degree granting engineering major. The courses are listed below. Second semester courses will vary by engineering major. Please familiarize yourself with your intended degree program by checking out the department's webpage.

First Semester:

CH 1010: General Chemistry

ENGL 1030: Accelerated Composition

ENGR 1050: Engineering Disciplines & Skills I

ENGR 1060: Engineering Disciplines & Skills II

MATH 1060: Calculus of One Variable I1

General Education Requirement

1 MATH 1040 +   1070 = MATH 1060

Second Semester:

ENGR 1070: Programming & Problem Solving I2

ENGR 1080: Programming & Problem Solving II2

ENGR 1090: Programming & Problem Solving III2

MATH 1080: Calculus of One Variable II

PHYS 1220: Physics with Calculus I

Departmental Science or Other Requirement

General Education Requirement

2Chemical Engineering Requirements May Vary

What are General Education requirements?

General Education courses are designed to expand your engineering education. They fall into two categories: Arts & Humanities and Social Sciences. Depending on your choice of engineering major you will take between 4-6 courses by the time you graduate. For more specific information, please see the Undergraduate Announcements - page 37.

How do I end up on Academic Probation and can I return to Clemson if I am on probation in my second semester?

A student is placed on academic probation if his or her cumulative GPA falls below 2.0. More specific information is available here. Yes. You may return and bring up your cumulative GPR.

What is Academic Forgiveness?

The Academic Forgiveness Policy allows a student to delete a maximum of three (3) course grades with a a D or F from their cumulative GPA.  The course will remain on the transcript, but will read in a way that shows the credit and grade have been excluded from the student's earned hours and GPA.  If the student uses Academic Forgiveness on a course that is required for their major, they must retake the course at Clemson.  If the course being forgiven is not specifically needed for their major, the student does not have to retake the course.  It is always a good idea to speak with your advisor if you're considering forgiving a course.

To start the process, students should take an Academic Forgiveness Request Form to their advisor.  The advisor will discuss the possible implications for scholarships and loans and will rework the next semester's schedule if necessary.  Once both the student and the advisor have signed the form, it must be returned to Enrolled Student Services (104 Sikes Hall), where the change will be processed.

I am on LIFE or Palmetto Fellows scholarship. What do I need to do to keep it?

Students who enter Clemson with LIFE or Palmetto Fellows must earn 30 semester hours of credit and a minimum cumulative GPR of 3.0 in an academic year (August to August) to retain their scholarship. More information on these and other scholarships can be found on the Financial Aid webpage.

Should I attend summer school?

Summer school is a good idea if you are behind or if you are facing a heavy course load in an upcoming semester. It can also be used to meet scholarship requirements. You may attend summer school at Clemson. Depending on your personal circumstances you may decide that attending a school closer to home is a good idea.

Consult your academic advisor about your situation so that you can make the decision that is right for you. If you decide to attend summer school at home, there are certain forms that must be completed in order to ensure that a course is equivalent and transferable. Your advisor will help with those as well.


Utility Links


Assistive Options

Top of page

Assistive Options

Open the original version of this page.

Usablenet Assistive is a Usablenet product. Usablenet Assistive Main Page.