//www.googletagmanager.com/ns.html?id=GTM-KZGK
Environmental Engineering & Earth Sciences

History

Our department has a rich history stemming back to the opening of Clemson University in 1893. We invite you to learn how we have evolved into the dynamic, mulitdisciplinary community that is the Department of Environmental Engineering & Earth Sciences today.

HISTORICAL DEVELOPMENT OF EES
ADMINISTRATIVE
1961:  Program in Environmental Systems Engineering started in Civil Engineering
1966:  ESE became a separate program reporting directly to the Dean of Engineering
1968:  ESE became a separate department  in the College of Engineering
1991:  ESE moved to the Clemson Research Park
1997:  Changed name to Environmental Engineering & Science (EE&S)
2001:  Joined with Geological Sciences in School of Environment administrative unit
2007:  Department name changed to Environmental Engineering & Earth Sciences (EEES)
PROGRAMMATIC
    During the 1960’s, the primary emphasis was on potable water and wastewater process engineering
    During the 1970’s, expertise was added in the areas of air pollution control, environmental chemistry, nuclear environmental engineering
    During the 1980’s, solid and hazardous wastes, groundwater remediation, and fate and transport areas were expanded
    During the 1990’s, the Vitrification Lab was started and radiochemistry was added
    School of the Environment first started in 1995, reorganized in 2001
HISTORICAL DEVELOPMENT OF GEOLOGICAL SCIENCES
ADMINISTRATIVE
1893:  Clemson College admits students, includes geology by will of Thomas Green Clemson
1932:  Department of Chemistry and Geology instituted
1986:  Separate Department of Earth Sciences formed
1995:  University restructuring results in Department of Geological Sciences in School of the Environment
2001:  Combined in one administrative unit in School of the Environment with Environmental Engineering and Science
2007:  Department name changed to Environmental Engineering & Earth Sciences (EEES)
PROGRAMMATIC
1960:  Geology major instituted (BS in Arts and Sciences)
1963:  Geology degree redesignated as a BA
1965:  BS in geology added
1969-90:  Proposals for MS degree, finally successful in 1990
1993:  MS degree renamed Hydrogeology
HISTORICAL DEVELOPMENT OF BIOSYSTEMS ENGINEERING
ADMINISTRATIVE
1915:  Agricultural engineering courses first taught at Clemson College
1931:  The original agricultural engineering curriculum started under the administration of the Agronomy Department
1941:  Agricultural Engineering Department was developed
1988:  Department name changed to Biological and Agricultural Engineering
2010:  Department name changed to Biosystems Engineering to reflect program
2011:  Department was dissolved under the College of Agriculture, Forestry and Life Sciences with BE programs moved to the Department of Environmental Engineering & Earth Sciences (EEES) under the College of Engineering and Science
PROGRAMMATIC
1931:  Agricultural Engineering B.S., M.S. and Ph.D. programs were developed
1950:  McAdams Hall built to serve department programs
1998:  Agricultural Engineering program name changed to Biosystems Engineering with concentrations in Natural Resource and the Environment and Applied Biotechnology
2010:  Concentrations were changed to emphasis areas in Bioprocess Engineering and Ecological Engineering
2011:  BE programs moved to the Department of Environmental Engineering & Earth Sciences (EEES)

Utility Links

Search

Text Only Options

Top of page


Text Only Options

Open the original version of this page.

Usablenet Assistive is a UsableNet product. Usablenet Assistive Main Page.