Environmental Engineering & Earth Sciences

Application Process

Student in Lab
Announcement: Effective Aug 2014, Students will only be admitted to EEES graduate programs for the fall semester.  No Spring or Summer applicants will be accepted.
Application Process:
Applications to EEE&S should be submitted to the Graduate School. Once the Graduate School has received a complete application package, it is forwarded to the department for a review of each candidate’s credentials and to make a decision regarding acceptance of the applicant to the desired degree program. In general, students admitted to the department will choose a research advisor in the first term of residence, however, students with a strong interest in a particular research area are encouraged to indicate this on their application and contact individual faculty members to discuss potential research options. Students are typically notified of acceptance for the upcoming fall term by the end of April. Applications for studies commencing in the January term are also accepted and reviewed on an individual basis.

Admission Requirements:
All students applying for graduate study in EEE&S must have completed a baccalaureate degree and provide evidence indicating aptitude for continued studies at the graduate level. Scores for the GRE (General Test) are required for the application. Foreign applicants are also required to provide scores for the TOEFL Exam or IELTS. Additional requirements specific to a particular degree program can be found under the description of that program.

We consider the entire application package including previous education and performance, any work experience, your statement of purpose, your recommendation letters, and your performance on the GRE and TOEFLor IELTS (if applicable). We also encourage visits to the Department or phone calls or email with faculty who share your research interests. Please contact Barbara Smith ( barbar2@clemson.edu) if you are interested in visiting.

Statement of Purpose
Because the decision to admit applicants to the graduate program in the department of EE&S at Clemson University is based on many diverse factors, we would like to get to know you as well as possible. Accordingly, we ask that you submit a one page essay (Statement of Purpose) to tell us something about yourself and the experiences which helped shape you, as well as your life's goals and professional aspirations. Include an indication of your preferred area of specialization and research in the environmental engineering and science field, and state why you are interested in the area.
Recommendation Letters
We carefully consider letters of recommendation from professors from your undergraduate and masters education. The letters should be from evaluators who know you well and can write about your skills, talents, experiences, and abilities. Letters from supervisors from any work experience are also helpful but at least one letter should be included from an academic evaluator.
Application Deadline
To be considered fully for financial assistance beginning in the fall semester, completed applications for graduate study should be received by February 15, though applications may be submitted at any time. Applications received after February 15 may be considered for financial assistance depending upon availability of funds. Notice of acceptance to the program and offers of financial aid are typically given to new students in March-April for fall matriculation.

Financial Aid:
The types of financial aid awarded selectively to qualified applicants include graduate research assistantships, teaching assistantships, and fellowships. It is common for students who are teaching assistants during their first year of graduate study to switch to a research assistantship for their second year. Graduate assistants pay a reduced academic fee (tuition) that is the same for both resident and non-resident students. Selection of financial assistance recipients and the amount awarded is made by the graduate faculty based on many factors, including undergraduate transcripts, GRE scores, recommendations, science and math background, and (for international students) English language proficiency. For more information on specific types of financial aid available in the department, see the links below:
Expand Teaching Assistantships
Collapse Teaching Assistantships
Teaching assistants (TA's) play an important role in the department. TA’s may be required to teach laboratories that parallel introductory courses in geology and physical science or assist with various other courses. In general, TA's work approximately 20 hours per week, which includes preparation, teaching, and grading. Most TA's teach 3 two-hour laboratory sections per week. Each year an award is presented to the outstanding graduate teaching assistant in the department.
Expand Research Assistantships
Collapse Research Assistantships
Research assistants receive financial support while performing research on a specific project. Usually, but not always, this work coincides with an RA's thesis research. The responsibilities of RA's vary according to the specific grant from which they are being paid. In many cases, research expenses of RA's are paid in addition to a stipend and reduction in tuition.
Expand Fellowships
Collapse Fellowships
Two major types of fellowships are awarded: those that provide full financial support and those that augment an assistantship. Fellowships include the following:

Graduate Alumni Fellowships, University Research Fellowships, and George R. MacDonald Fellowships are University-wide awards administered by the Graduate School. These awards of $5,000 each for the academic year are made on a competitive basis to nominees selected by the departments. Scholarly potential and academic excellence are the sole criteria for the awards.

South Carolina Graduate Incentive Fellowships of $5,000 for master's students or $10,000 for doctoral students are available to minority graduate students. These awards are renewable. Master's students must be citizens of South Carolina. Preference is given to new applicants and those who express a commitment to remain and be employed in the state for two years. These fellowships are administered by the Graduate School.

OCRWM Fellowships: Clemson University is one of only 18 universities nationwide from which graduate students may apply for fellowships from the OCRWM of the U.S. Department of Energy. Technical emphasis areas include earth science (hydrology-geology) and engineering. Contact the Graduate Program Coordinator for more information or if you would like to be considered for the OCRWM Fellowship.

Clemson University and NSF GK-12 Fellowships:This project allows graduate students in the sciences to spend one year in partnership with a middle or high school teacher. The fellowship requires approximately 20 hours per week from July 1 through the beginning of May. Fellows are funded for the final two months (providing they register for classes), but have no official duties during that time. Under no circumstances will fellowships be renewed for a second year. Contact Dr. Rich Warner ( mailto:wrichard@clemson.edu) or Dr. Jim Castle ( jcastle@clemson.edu) of Geological Sciences.

Other Scholarship Opportunities:

International Education Financial Aid
IEFA is the premier Internet resource for financial aid information for international students wishing to study in a foreign country. At this site, you will find the most comprehensive listing of grants, scholarships, loan programs, and other information to assist students in their pursuit to study abroad.

Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors (AEESP)
Position announcements for post-doctoral associates and tenure-track faculty are posted by the AEESP on a regular basis.

Fellowship information and career advice
This on-line magazine provides weekly up-dates of fellowship and grant information across the sciences and engineering disciplines. There is also information about job markets for people with advanced degrees in science and engineering. There is information appropriate for post-doctoral associates, too.

Expand Student Loans
Collapse Student Loans
The Federal Stafford Loan has extended loan limits for graduate students and is available to most students regardless of income. US citizens and eligible non-citizens can apply for the Federal Stafford Loan by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The suggested deadline to apply is April 1 for the following fall semester. Further information and application forms are available from the Office of Student Financial Aid, G01 Sikes Hall, Box 345123, Clemson, SC 29634-5123.
For more information:
If you have questions about our programs, financial aid, or any part of the application process we encourage you to contact us!

For general questions or help with the application process please contact our Student Services Coordinator:

Barbara Smith
E-mail: barbar2@clemson.edu
Phone: 864.656.3278
Mail Address:
L. G. Rich Environmental Research Laboratory
342 Computer Court
Anderson, SC 29625

For specific questions regarding our programs contact the appropriate graduate program coordinator for the area you are interested in:

Environmental Engineering &
Science Degree Programs

Dr. Cindy Lee
E-mail: lc@clemson.edu
Phone: 864.656.1006

Hydrogeology Degree Program

Dr. Jim Castle
E-mail: jcastle@clemson.edu
Phone: 864.656.5015

Utility Links


Assistive Options

Top of page

Assistive Options

Open the original version of this page.

Usablenet Assistive is a Usablenet product. Usablenet Assistive Main Page.