University Facilities

Paper Shredding Request

Do you need documents from your office shredded?


Clemson Facilities is dedicated to helping faculty, staff and students dispose of documents in an appropriate and safe manner. Whether you have secure documents or important papers to be shredded, we can help.

First, read below and determine if your documents are considered for secure shredding or document destruction. Then follow the easy steps to request for your paper to be shredded.

Expand All | Collapse All
  • Do your documents need secure shredding or document destruction? +

    "Secure shredding" is used to describe the process in which custody of the records is maintained at all times. From the time documents are placed in locked containers until they are shredded and baled, they are kept secure.

    Documents containing social security numbers, credit card numbers, medical information and similar sensitive information must always be destroyed in a secure manner – either with your desk side crosscut shredder or in a locked secure document bin.

    "Document destruction," on the other hand, is used to describe the process in which documents are destroyed in various manners including shredding, but are not necessarily locked securely from people’s view; there is limited custodial responsibility for these documents. This is acceptable for times of cleaning out your file cabinets of material you do not want the general public accessing, but are not of the importance level required for long term storage or secure shredding.

  • Document Destruction +

    Document Destruction could be used for items such as old exams, student papers or utility bills. In order to destroy these types of documents, you may either bring your paper to Kite Hill to shred or depending on quantity, request a pick up service. Contact Dave VanDeventer at 864-656-4219 to schedule a pick up.

  • Secure Shredding +

    We want to remind you that each of us is responsible for the security of personal information on printed documents. The most secure way to deal with these kinds of documents is a cross-cut shredder at your desk. If you shred the document as soon as you are finished with it, the information cannot end up in the wrong hands. Shred bins are the best option when there are too many documents to shred at your desk.

    Documents that you need to store in accordance with State records retention schedules may be boxed and sent to the University Libraries remote storage facility. Please visit the Clemson University Records Management webpage for more information: http://www.clemson.edu/library/recordsmgt/index.html.

    One time shred, twice a year, once a month or twice a month?


    Moving offices and need to get rid of several boxes of paper? Call Tom Jones at 864-656-4940 to schedule a drop off of a shred bin for a onetime charge.


    Have a buildup of documents but not enough to warrant a bin for the full year? Call Tom Jones at 864-656-4940 to schedule a drop off of a shred bin for 3 to 4 weeks at a service fee.


    Have a continual need for secure document shredding? Call Tom Jones at 864-656-4940 to set up an Account Number and frequency of pick up. You will have the option to have a pickup schedule of either every 2 weeks or every 4 weeks. Depending on use, special requests for additional pickups are available. Monthly charges will be determined per pickup.

  • Additional Information / FAQ's +

    For more information or further questions, contact Tom Jones at 864-656-4940.


    Q: What should I shred?

    A: Documents containing social security numbers, credit card numbers, medical information and similar sensitive information must always be destroyed in a secure manner. Other documents may include: previous exams, student's intellectual property, credit card bills, etc. See above for a distinction between items that need secure shredding and those that need document destruction.

    Q: Are there any other options for shredding my documents?

    A: Offices may contact Tom Jones at 864-656-4940 to arrange for an approved vendor to shred their documents, at the office's own expense.

    Q: How do I get to Kite Hill?

    A: It's adjacent to the P-1 parking lot near the University Fire Station, right off Highway 76. The Recycling Center is manned from 8 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. from Monday through Friday.

    Q: How will I go about paying for the service?

    A: You will need to set up an account with Tom Jones in Facilities and then use your department information to pay for it.**********

facilities               library

Utility Links


Assistive Options

Top of page

Assistive Options

Open the original version of this page.

Usablenet Assistive is a Usablenet product. Usablenet Assistive Main Page.