Clemson University, South Carolina Wordmark
Hire a student
Here are a few things to know about hiring student workers.
- There are two types of student employees:
- Regular Student Employee
- Federal Work Study
- Federal Work Study Program (FWS) provides jobs for undergraduate students who have established financial need through the submission of FAFSA.
- FWS students have 75 percent of their hourly rate paid by the government. The remaining 25 percent is paid by the department that employs these students.
- FWS students work only until the award is earned. They are able to work only during the fall and spring semesters (no summer jobs).
- Students are paid biweekly, and paychecks are automatically deposited into students’ bank accounts. Since work-study earnings are paid directly to students, the money cannot be credited to a student’s Clemson account for satisfaction of University charges.
For a Regular Student Employee
- Go to http://career.clemson.edu/clemsonjoblink.
- If you are a new employer, sign up by following the employer link — you will receive approval within 24 hours.
- Log on to the employer link with the following:
- username (e-mail address)
- password (one you created or was sent to you during login).
- Select “Create a Non-OCR Job Posting” and post your job opportunity for students.
- Receive student applications through e-mail and hire an outstanding Clemson student to work in your office.
For a FWS Student
- Fill out a paper Position Request (PQ) form and send to a FWS coordinator, G01 Sikes Hall, fax to 864-656-1831 or e-mail to email@example.com.
- PQs are e-mailed yearly to the individual in each department who is responsible for the payroll as well as supervisors of job positions from previous year.
- The FWS coordinator will post your job on www.clemson.edu/fws, allowing you to become a user and view your positions. NOTE: Only students who are eligible for the FWS program and have accepted their offered award will be able to apply for jobs.
- Once FWS students apply for your position, you will receive an e-mail from ApplicationsServices@clemson.edu with the applicant’s job profile.
- Log in using your Clemson username to www.clemson.edu/fws to view their profiles and applications.
- To view your positions, click on “Job Postings.”
- To view applicants, click on “View Applicants.”
- Contact students for further details and set up interviews.
- After selecting a student for hire and receiving confirmation from the student, click on “Hire” and complete the effective hire date.