Finance Division

Cash and Treasury Services

Effective:  4/1/98
Revised:  04/01/07

Related Policy

Receiving a Travel Advance

Travel advances must be requested using the Travel Advance Form [CUBO 301(a)]. The form is available on the CUBS web site under Forms – Financial. The form must be signed by the traveler and the department head and submitted in the Cash and Treasury Services Office. A cash advance will not be made more than 3 working days in advance of the travel departure date. Four copies of the form are distributed as follows:

  1. Two signed copies to Cash and Treasury Services Office, Administrative Services Building
  2. A copy to the traveler
  3. A copy kept by the department

If foreign travel is involved, a copy of the approved Authorization for Foreign Travel Form and Sponsored Programs Accounting and Administration approval (if applicable) must be attached to the CUBO 301 (a). If special circumstances that justify travel advances beyond the meal per diem are deemed appropriate by the department head, written justification must be attached to the CUBO 301 (a).

Travel advances cannot be made for items that are prepaid or billed directly to the University.

Repaying a Travel Advance

Travel advances must be repaid no more than 30 calendar days after completion of the travel. Travel advances are repaid in the Cash and Treasury Services Office.

Employees that do not adhere to the 30 calendar day repayment requirement will receive an email notification from Cash and Treasury Services reminding the employee that the travel advance is past due. The approving official will be copied on the email notification. The employee will be given 10 calendar days to make payment in full. If payment in full is not received within the specified time, the outstanding advance will be paid via a preauthorized payroll deduction through the Human Resources office. The Cash and Treasury Services Department will coordinate the payroll deduction amount(s) through Human Resources. Once payroll deduction has been initiated, no payments will be accepted in the Cash and Treasury Services Office to prevent the possibility of double payment. If payroll deduction is required for a traveler, no future travel advances will be granted.

If a terminated employee has an outstanding travel advance, the amount of the unpaid travel advance will be considered indebtedness to the University and will be subject to collections procedures administered by the Cash and Treasury Services Office. Such unpaid travel advances may have billing and collection costs added, may be placed with a third party collection agency, and may be reported to a credit bureau.

A report of those individuals requiring payroll deduction for repayment will be provided monthly to the respective Vice President/Provost for their information and follow-up as they deem appropriate. Violation of the Travel Cash Advance Policy is subject to progressive discipline action for willful violation of written rules, regulations or policies.

Utility Links


Text Only Options

Top of page

Text Only Options

Open the original version of this page.

Usablenet Assistive is a UsableNet product. Usablenet Assistive Main Page.