Student Financial Aid Federal School Code: 003425

Study Abroad

Students who wish to study abroad should first contact the study abroad coordinator in the Study Abroad Office at 864-656-2457. Those who wish to receive financial aid for course work outside the United States should contact Student Financial Aid at least three months prior to their departure in order to set up an appointment with the Financial Aid Study Abroad Coordinator. You may do this by completing the online appointment request form or calling 864-656-2280.

Study Abroad Participants in the South Carolina Tuition PrePay (SCTPP) need to self-identify to their Study Abroad Advisor at the beginning of the advising process. Eligibility for using SCTPP for study abroad depends on the program you choose. The SCTPP is designed to pay tuition and fees to Title IV (eligible of U.S. Federal Government student aid) institutions only. Identifying yourself as a participant in the SCTPP will help in your study abroad planning decisions.

Should you be a participant in a Tuition PrePay from another state, please check with the Plan Administrator in which the plan resides.

Federal financial aid is available for sanctioned study abroad programs. FAFSA deadlines still apply whether involved in abroad or domestic studies. Scholarships and campus-based aid can be used for study abroad if the student pays tuition and fees for the program directly to Clemson University. All eligible scholarship guidelines, state or university, still apply whether the scholarship is applicable to the study abroad trip or not. Read this PDF for information regarding the use of University scholarships.

If you have a state scholarship (Palmetto Fellows, LIFE, or HOPE), all regulations associated with the scholarship still apply.  The state regulations are applicable for current eligibility and renewal.  Should your transcript be issued through a university that is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education, your hours and grades will count in the calculation of your LIFE GPR.

Enrollment verification

Financial aid is disbursed upon verification of the student's enrollment in the foreign country. Verification of enrollment MUST come from your host university after your classes have begun in order for financial aid to be released. Therefore, financial aid is not available in time to pay upfront costs such as advance deposits and plane fares.

Before your meeting

When you meet with the Study Abroad Coordinator please bring:

  • Any information and dates pertaining to your program
  • An itemized of cost of attendance for your program (from host university website or from CU Study Abroad Office)
  • Request for Approval of Work to be taken Abroad form (from CU Study Abroad Office)
  • name of the contact person and address of the host institution

You will have the opportunity to compile this information after meeting with the Financial Aid Office Study Abroad Coordinator. This will complete your file and allow your financial aid to be released upon arrival at your institution.

Please click here to check out our frequently asked questions.

Utility Links


Assistive Options

Top of page

Assistive Options

Open the original version of this page.

Usablenet Assistive is a Usablenet product. Usablenet Assistive Main Page.