Benedict College was founded in 1870 on an 80-acre plantation in Columbia, S.C. The school's original objective was to train teachers and preachers.
In November 1894, the institution was chartered as a liberal arts college by the S.C. Legislature, and the name was changed to Benedict College. Maintaining a liberal arts tradition, Benedict College now offers bachelor's degrees in 29 areas of study. The college has an enrollment of more than 3,000 men and women.
Benedict is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award bachelor's degrees.
Open the original version of this page.