Khoa Truong, Ph.D.
Associate Professor in Public Health Sciences
Khoa Truong pic
OFFICE PHONE: 864.656.4704
LOCATION: 529 Edwards Hall
Download Dr. Khoa Truong's CV
Dr. Khoa Truong is an Associate Professor in the Department of Public Health Sciences. His research is empirically driven in the field of health and health care policy. Dr. Truong has published his work in top-tier public health journals with findings cited by the media including the Los Angeles Times and Radio New Zealand National. A native of Vietnam, Khoa Truong began his career in the development field in Southeast Asia. Over the years, he has provided consultancies to the public, private, and non-profit sectors.
Ph.D., Policy Analysis, RAND Graduate School
M.Phil., Policy Analysis, RAND Graduate School
M.A., Development Economics, Williams College
- Tobacco, Alcohol, and Illicit Drug Control Policies
- Obesity, Mental Health, Built Environment and Health, International Health
- Economic Development
SELECTED FUNDED RESEARCH:
- Principal Investigator. "An Innovative Approach to Estimating Inter-generational Burden of Maternal Drinking". Funded by College of Health, Education, and Human Development, Clemson University. (5/2012 - 5/2013)
- Co-Principal Investigator. “Disparities in alcohol problems: Environmental contributors”. Funded by National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, grant R21AA017265. (8/2008 - 8/2010)
- Co-Principal Investigator. "Geostatistical analysis of disparities in alcohol environments”. Funded by Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, grant 63262. (10/2006 - 10/2008)
- Truong KD, Reifsnider SO, Mayorga ME, Spitler H. Estimated Number of Preterm Births and Low Birth Weight Children Born in the United States Due to Maternal Binge Drinking. Maternal and Child Health Journal. Volume 17, Issue 4, 2013, 677-688.
- Chen DR, Truong KD, Tsai MJ. Prevalence of poor sleep quality and its relationship with body mass index among teenagers: Evidence from Taiwan. Journal of School Health. 2013; 83: 582-588.
- Chen DR, Truong KD. Using multilevel modeling and geographically weighted regression to identify spatial variations in the relationship between place-level disadvantages and obesity in Taiwan. Applied Geography 32 (2011) 737-745
- Truong KD, Sturm R. The consequences of obesity: Schooling and human capital. In: John Cawley, editor. Handbook of the social sciences of obesity. New York, NY: Oxford University Press. Sep, 2011, Part IV, Chapter 31, 517-530.
- Hideki H, Truong KD, Barendregt JJ, Nguyen KP, Vuong LM, Nguyen TT, Hoang TP, Wallace LA, Tran VT, Le QC, and Doran MC. Cost-effectiveness of tobacco control policies in Vietnam: the case of population-level interventions. Appl Health Econ Health Policy 2011; 9 (3): 183-196.
- Truong KD, Fernandes M, An R, Shier V, Sturm R. Measuring the physical food environment and its relationship with obesity: Evidence from California. Public Health. 2010 Feb;124(2):115-8.
- Truong KD, Sturm R. Alcohol environments: Disparities in exposure and adolescent drinking in California. American Journal of Public Health. 2009 Feb;99(2):264-70.
- Truong KD, Sturm R. Alcohol outlets and problem drinking among adults in California. Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs. 2007 Nov; 68(6):923-33.T
- Truong KD, Ma S. A systematic review of relations between neighborhoods and mental health. Journal of Mental Health Policy and Economics. 2006 Sep; 9(3):137-54.
- Truong KD, Sturm R. Weight gain trends across sociodemographic groups in the United States. American Journal of Public Health. 2005 Sep; 95(9):1602-6.
- Health Care Delivery Systems
- Health Economics
- Finance and Budgeting for Healthcare Organizations
- Research and Evaluation Methods
- Creative Inquiry in Public Health
HONORS & AWARDS:
- Award of Excellence, College of Health, Education and Human Development, Clemson University. 2013
- Academic paper (published in AJPH) featured in Los Angeles Times and Radio New Zealand National. 2009
- Most outstand paper at Academy Health's Research Meeting. 2007
- RAND Merit Bonus Team-Player Award. 2007