University of Florida

Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering

Skip to main Content   Local Links   Search   Main Navigation   What is this view

Main Navigation

Home   Current Students   PhD Students FAQ for Current PhD Students

FAQ for Current PhD Students

  • Can I take undergraduate courses and apply them towards my Ph.D. degree?
    The graduate school allows graduate students to apply up to 6 credits of undergraduate work towards a graduate degree, provided that these credits are at the 3000 level or above, and are taken outside the major department (you cannot count ISE undergraduate courses).
  • Is there a limit on the number of ESI 6912 and EIN 6905 credits I can take?
    Yes, you are limited to no more than 8 credits of ESI 6912 and no more than 9 credits of EIN 6905.
  • When should I name an adviser and create a committee?
    You should officially name an adviser and create a committee by the end the first year. The committee must have at least four members, and one member must be from an outside department. You should work with your chosen adviser on creating the committee.
  • In my first semester I was assigned to a particular professor as a research assistant. Do I have to name this person as my adviser?
    Students that come in on research assistantships must be assigned to a supervisor for their assistantship in their first semester. There is no assumption that this person will be the thesis adviser. The student is free to choose any faculty member as an adviser, provided there is mutual agreement with the adviser.
  • When should I take the General Exam?
    The General Exam must be taken by the end of the first year of graduate study, unless prior permission is received by appeal to the graduate committee. The exam is offered in late May and early August of each year.
  • When am I officially admitted to Ph.D. candidacy?
    After successfully defending the Qualifying Exam / Dissertation Proposal, the student will be admitted to candidacy.
  • I would like to earn a Master’s degree on my way to the Ph.D.; can this be done?
    This can be done, but the student must fulfill all of the requirements for the Master’s degree. Please see the catalog, the ISE web site, and the FAQ section for current Master’s degree students for the requirements for this degree.


What is this view?

You are using a dynamic assistive view of the University of Florida site. It has all the same data and features of the original site but formatted just with assistive users in mind. It has links and content reorganized to aid assistive users and has controls at the bottom under assistive options that allow you to control key aspects such as font size and contrast colors etc.
This is not a separate text-only site, it's a dynamic view that uses unique technology from Usablenet to give assistive users better, more accessible access to the same content and features as all users that use the graphic view of the site.

Assistive Options

Top of page

Assistive Options

Open the original version of this page.

Usablenet Assistive is a Usablenet product. Usablenet Assistive Main Page.