- Juris Doctor
- LL.M. in Comparative Law Program
- LL.M. in Environmental & Land Use Law
- LL.M. in Taxation
- LL.M. in International Taxation
- S.J.D. in Taxation
Concentration Areas & Certificate Programs
- Criminal Justice Certificate
Environmental & Land Use Law
- Public Interest Environmental Conference
- Certificate in ELUL
- Interdisciplinary Opportunities
- Opportunities for Students
- Events and Announcements
- Career Opportunities
- Estates & Trusts
- Family Law
- Intellectual Property Law
- International & Comparative Law
- Joint Degrees
- Legal Writing and Appellate Advocacy
Study Abroad & Exchange Programs
- Exchange Programs
Summer Study Abroad
- Cape Town, South Africa
- Paris & Montpellier, France
- San Jose, Costa Rica
- The Center for Estate Planning
- Center on Children & Families
- Criminal Justice Center
- Center for Governmental Responsibility
- Center for International Financial Crimes Studies
- Center for the Study of Race & Race Relations
- Civil Clinics
- Criminal Clinics
- Program Areas
- Forms & Applications
- Environmental and Land Use Law Program
- Costa Rica Program
- Contact Conservation Clinic
- For Students
- About the Clinics
Institutes & Related Programs
- Initiative on Mindfulness in Law & Dispute Resolution
- Institute for Dispute Resolution
- International Trade Law
- Law & Policy in the Americas Program
- UF Law E-Discovery Project
CGR Quick Links
Annual Conference on Legal & Policy Issues in the Americas
The Center for Governmental Responsibility directs the Annual Conference on Legal & Policy Issues in the Americas, in cooperation with the Law and Policy in the Americas Program. The overall focus of the conference is related to the rule of law and justice reform throughout the Americas. Agendas have included presentations on international trade, legal education, financial crimes, justice reform, human rights, alternative dispute resolution, economic integration, legal education and professionalism, privacy, press freedom, environment, property rights, and international tax issues.
The Conference alternates between Gainesville, Florida, and locations throughout the Americas. To date, the conference has been held in San Jose, Costa Rica; Lima, Peru; Rio de Janeiro and Curitiba, Brazil; Montevideo, Uruguay; and Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Participants in the conference include lawyers, policy makers, law professors, judges, law students, journalists, and business professionals. They represent countries from throughout the Americas.
The conference is designed to provide a venue for scholars, business and government leaders in the Americas to analyze legal and policy issues of importance to the countries of this hemisphere, with the goal of fostering programs and faculty interests of the University of Florida.
15th Annual Conference on Legal & Policy Issues in the Americas
April 28, 2014: Universidad del Norte, Barranquilla, Colombia
April 30, 2014: Universidad del Magdalena, Santa Marta, Colombia
The 2014 conference, like its predecessors, will examine current legal issues in the hemisphere, while continuing to strengthen our partnerships throughout the region. A special emphasis of the 2014 conference is human rights in Colombia. This year’s conference is part of our project, “Building Human Rights Capacities in the Colombian Caribbean”, sponsored by USAID and HED.
All conference sessions will be held on the campuses of our two university partners in Caribbean Coastal Colombia: the Universidad del Norte in Barranquilla (April 28) and the Universidad del Magdalena in Santa Marta (April 30).
The Conference has been approved for credit from The Florida Bar.
- Credit approved for the session for April 28 at Barranquilla is 7 general CLE credits at the intermediate level
- Credit approved for the session for April 30 at Santa Marta is 9 general CLE credits at the intermediate level
At the conference registration, you will receive information regarding the course number and amount of CLER credits. Fee for CLE credit for non-University of Florida Levin College of Law faculty and staff: $150. The fee is included in the conference registration fee.
Registration information for the conference is located at: here
Official Hotels for the conference are
In Santa Marta
Irotama Resort, Km 14 Via Cienaga, Santa Marta, Colombia; phone: 1-866-332-3590, website: www.irotamaresortsantamarta.com
Sonesta Hotel Barranquilla, Calle 106 #50-11, Atlantico 080010, Barranquilla, Colombia. Phone: 57-5-385-6060; fax: 57-5-385-6061, website: www.sonesta.com/Barranquilla
Please contact Lenny Kennedy ( firstname.lastname@example.org) at the Center for Governmental Responsibility for further information.