George L. Dawson
Director, College of Law Summer Program University of Montpellier, France
J.D., University of Chicago
A.B., Princeton University (cum laude)
Commercial Paper, Contracts, Estates & Trusts
- University of Florida: Joined College of Law in 1981 as Associate Professor. Named Professor in 1984. Associate Dean for Academic Affairs (1996-2000, 2004 – 2008). Director, College of Law Summer Program at University of Montpellier, France.
- Previous Academic Experience: Instructor, University of Michigan (1969-70); Assistant Professor, Assistant Dean & Associate Professor, University of Oregon (1971-80); Visiting Professor: Texas, Stetson universities; Peking University, China; Mechnikov State University, Ukraine; Stellenbosch University, South Africa.
- Professional Affiliations: Member, former chair, Law School Admissions Council (LSAC); Association of American Law Schools, Committee on Curriculum & Research (past chair); Chair, LSAC Test Development & Research Committee; Colorado Bar Association.
Contracts (4 credits) – LAW 5000
- An introduction to the law and theory of legally enforceable agreementsand promises, including elements of contract formation; consideration; effects ofnonperformance; conditions for relief from or discharge of obligations; and remedies.
Commercial Paper (2-3 credits) – LAW 6020
- A study of negotiable bills, notes and other commercial paper,banking law relating to the collection of checks, and suretyship in the negotiablepaper context.
Estates & Trusts (3 credits) – LAW 6430
- Registration preference will begiven to students in their third full semester. Topics covered include intestatesuccession, gifts, execution of wills, creation of trusts, charitable trusts,ademption and lapse, powers and appointment.
Prerequisite: Property (LAW 5400)