Jason P. Nance
Associate Professor of Law
Associate Director, Center on Children and Families
Box #117625 Gainesville, FL 32611
J.D., University of Pennsylvania Law School Ph.D., The Ohio State University M.A., The Ohio State University B.A., Brigham Young University
Teaching and Scholarship
Education Law, Empirical Legal Studies, Torts, Remedies, The Legal Profession
University of Florida: Joined College of Law faculty as Assistant Professor in 2011
Previous Academic Experience: Visiting Assistant Professor of Law, Villanova University School of Law (Fall 2010); Visiting Assistant Professor of Applied Statistics, The Ohio State University (2002 – 2003)
Previous Professional Experience: Litigation Associate, Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP (2007 – 2011); Law Clerk to Judge Kent A. Jordan, United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit (Dec. 2006 – Sept. 2007); Law Clerk to Judge Kent A. Jordan, United States District Court for the District of Delaware (Sept. 2006 – Dec. 2006); Public School Teacher, Aldine Independent School District, Houston, Texas (1996 – 1999)
- Students, Police, and the School-to-Prison Pipeline, 93 Washington University Law Review __ (forthcoming).
- The Criminalization of School Discipline and the School-to-Prison Pipeline: Problems and Solutions, __ Arizona State Law Journal __ (forthcoming) (invited).
- An Empirical Analysis of Diversity in the Legal Profession, 47 Connecticut Law Review 271 (2014) (with Paul E. Madsen).
- School Surveillance and the Fourth Amendment, 2014 Wisconsin Law Review 79, quoted in Hawker v. Sandy City Corp., 774 F.3d 1243, 1245 (10th Cir. 2014) (Lucero, J., concurring).
- Students, Security, and Race, 63 Emory Law Journal 1 (2013).
- Random, Suspicionless Searches of Students’ Belongings: A Legal, Empirical, and Normative Analysis, 84 University of Colorado Law Review 367 (2013).
- The Law Review Article Selection Process: Results from a National Study, 71 Albany Law Review 565 (2008) (with Dylan J. Steinberg).
- Protecting Students From Abuse: Public School District Liability for Student Sexual Abuse Under State Child Abuse Reporting Laws, 36 Journal of Law and Education 33 (2007) (with Philip T.K. Daniel).
- Contexts of Accountability Under Systemic Reform: Implications for Principal Influence on Instruction and Supervision, 43 Education Administration Quarterly 3 (2007) (with Helen M. Marks) (peer reviewed).
- Public School Administrators and Technology Policy Making, 39 Education Administration Quarterly 434 (2003) (peer reviewed).
- The Role of the Administrator in Instructional Technology Policy, 2002 BYU Education and Law Journal 211 (with Philip T.K. Daniel).
Book Chapters/Collected Works:
- Curriculum and Instruction Policy in the Context of Multiple Accountabilities, in Improving Schools: Studies in Leadership and Culture 193–221 (Wayne K. Hoy & Michael DiPaola eds., 2008) (with Helen M. Marks).
- School Security Considerations After Newtown, 65 Stanford Law Review Online 103 (2013).
- Fostering Safe Learning Environments, 71 Educational Leadership (2013).