Photo of Katheryn Russell-Brown
Chesterfield Smith Professor of Law
Director, Center for the Study of Race and Race Relations
Assistant Director, Criminal Justice Center
Ph.D., University of Maryland J.D., University of California - Hastings B.A., University of California - Berkeley
Teaching and Scholarship
Race and Crime, Sociology of Law, Criminal Law
- University of Florida: Joined College of Law in 2003 as Professor and Director, Center for Study of Race and Race Relations.
- University of Maryland: Criminology and Criminal Justice Department: Associate Professor (1998 - 2003), Director of Undergraduate Studies (1998-2002), Assistant Professor (1992-98).
- Previous Academic Experience: American University School of Law, Visiting Associate Professor (1997); City University of New York (CUNY) Law School, Visiting Associate Professor (1994); Howard University, Instructor (1991); Alabama State University, Assistant Professor (1987-89).
- THE COLOR OF CRIME: RACIAL HOAXES, WHITE FEAR, BLACK PROTECTIONISM, POLICE HARASSMENT, AND OTHER MACROAGGRESSIONS, 2nd Edition (New York University Press, 2008)
- PROTECTING OUR OWN: RACE, CRIME AND AFRICAN AMERICANS (Rowman and Littlefield, 2006)
- UNDERGROUND CODES: RACE, CRIME, AND RELATED FIRES (New York University Press, 2004)
- PETIT APARTHEID IN THE U.S. CRIMINAL JUSTICE SYSTEM: THE DARK FIGURE OF RACISM (edited with Dragon Milovanovic) (Carolina Academic Press, 2001)
- RACE AND CRIME: AN ANNOTATED BIBLIOGRAPHY (co-authored) (Greenwood Press, 2000)
- THE COLOR OF CRIME: RACIAL HOAXES, WHITE FEAR, BLACK PROTECTIONISM, POLICE HARASSMENT AND OTHER MACROAGGRESSIONS (New York University Press, 1998)
Representative Law Review Articles
- Guest Editor, Journal of Criminology & Public Policy, Special issue on Race and Policing, Vol. 6(1):1-181 (2007)
- “While Visions of Deviance Danced in Their Heads,” in After the Storm: Black Intellectuals Explore the Meaning of Hurricane Katrina (David Troutt, ed.) The New Press (2006)
- Black Protectionism as a Civil Rights Strategy 53 Buffalo Law Review 1 (2005)
- Racial Profiling: A Status Report of the Legal, Legislative and Empirical Literature, 3 Rutgers Race & the Law Review 61 (2001)
- Driving While Black: Corollary Phenomena and Collateral Consequences 40 Boston College Law Review 717 (1999)