J.D., University of Texas (with high honors
) B.A., Texas A&M University (summa cum laude
) Fulbright Scholar, Cambridge University
Teaching and Scholarship
Torts, Advanced Torts (specializing in Defamation and Invasion of Privacy), Mass Media Law, Internet Speech, Jurisprudence, First Amendment Law and Social Media, Freedom of Speech, Cyberbullying.
- University of Florida: Joined College of Law in 1994 as Assistant Professor; named Associate Professor (1997-2000), full Professor (since 2000); Associate Dean for Faculty Development (2005-06). University of Florida Research Foundation Professorship (2001-2003; 2005-2007). Chair of Appointments (2006-07).
- Teacher of the Year (1996-97 & 2002-2003). Twice selected by students as faculty graduation speaker.
- Selected Organizations: The Florida Bar (since 1994); Professionalism Committee of the Florida Bar 1995-96, 2005-06; Order of the Coif.
- Advisor to numerous student journals and organizations, including the Entertainment Law Review and the Journal of Law & Public Policy.
- Career Highlights: Author of three casebooks (Torts, Mass Media Law and First Amendment Law) and one reference book on freedom of the press. Author of numerous law review articles, several of which have been cited in published court opinions; Speaker at various conferences, including the Florida Bar's annual First Amendment Law Symposium; Cooperating Counsel with ACLU in a case involving anonymous Internet speech; International Contributing Editor to the Media & Arts Law Review (Australia). Testified before the Committee on Energy and Commerce, House of Representatives, in hearing entitled "Oath Taking, Truth Telling and Remedies in the Business World"