Mary Kathleen Price
Box #117628 Gainesville, FL 32611
J.D., University of Illinois (with honors
) M.S., Florida State University B.A., University of Florida (with honors
Teaching and Scholarship
Art Law, Cultural Property
- University of Florida: Joined College of Law in 2003 as visiting faculty from New York University to serve as Associate Dean Library & Technology and Clarence J. TeSelle Professor of Law.
- Library of Congress: The Law Librarian of Congress (1990-94), including managing research of 30 foreign lawyers for Congress and government agencies and revitalizing library's automation support, research and publication programs.
- Previous Academic: New York University: College of Law Director Law Library, Professor of Law (1994-2003). - University of Minnesota: Director Law Library, Professor of Law (1980-1990), Acting Assistant Vice President for Academic Affairs (1985-86). - Duke University School of Law: Professor of Law, Law Librarian (1970-1980), Associate Professor; Professor (1975-1979). - University of Illinois: Assistant Law Librarian, Instructor (1970-73). - University of Alabama: Assistant Law Librarian (1967-70). - Visiting Professor: Uppsala University (1998, 1990); Tsinghua University (Summer 2001); Renmin University (Summer 1999), Fudan University (Summer 1997).
- Organizations: American Association of Law Libraries (Past President, multiple offices), American Bar Association (Section on Legal Education Library Committee), American Law Institute, Association of American Law Schools (Executive Board, 1988-91), International Legal Information Network (Founding Member, former Chairman), Bridge to Asia (Executive Board), U.S. Committee on Legal Education Exchange with Peoples' Republic of China (Executive Board).
- “Careers in Legal Information,” (2d ed)(2007).
- “Careers in Legal Information,” ASIL Careers in International Law: A guide to Career Paths, Internships in International Law” at 36-38 (2005).
- “Finding US Law on the Internet,” 40-59 (English); 40-71 (Chinese) in Roaming the Virtual Law Library: a Guide to Online Sources for Legal Researchers (Liu and Yu ed. 2004).
- “Julius Marke: in Memoriam,” 96 L, Lib'y J. 9-15 (2004).
- “The Search for Meaning in 'Law and Language,'” Language and the Law; Proceedings of a Conference, Tarleton Law Library, The University of Texas School of Law, December 6-8, 2001 Robinson ed 2003) at 403-11.
- Setting the Legal Information Agenda for the Year 2000 (Based on a Workshop of the American Association of Law Libraries National Legal Resources Committee, Washington, October 23-26, 1988) 3 vols., Littleton, Colorado: Fred B. Rothman Co., 1993. Author, “The Death of the Up-Down Distinction,” at 327.
Speeches and Presentations
- Net Directions: Managing yourself and your Library, AALS annual meeting, New Or1earns, 1995.
- “Technology and Library Organization”, AALL, Seattle, 1994.
- “Technology change and Law Library Administration,” St. Johns University, 1994.
- “Now that the Honeymoon is Over; Workshop for New Law Library Directors,” AALS, New Orleans, 1994.