Stuart Cohn is the Sam T. Dell Professor of Law. He has authored a principal treatise in securities law, Securities Counseling for Small and Emerging Companies
, and the leading treatise on Florida's business law statutes and case law, both published by Thomson Reuters. His recent articles include a critique of the Security and Exchange Commission's integration doctrine (Hofstra Law Review) and an analysis of Florida's recently adopted crowdfunding statute (Florida Bar Journal).
Professor Cohn is a Senior Fellow with the United Nations Institute for Training and Research and manages three online courses in Capital Market Development and Corporate Governance for worldwide participants. He was recently appointed a Distinguished Visiting Professor at Central University of Finance and Economics in Beijing, China, where he is participating with other Chinese academics in recommendations regarding the reform of China's securities market.
Professor Cohn is a member of the Executive Council of the Business Law Section of The Florida Bar and is involved the reform of every major Florida business law statute. His scholarship can be found on:
LL.B., Yale University; B.A., Oxford University; B.A., University of Illinois
Teaching and Scholarship
- Corporate & Securities Law, Franchise Law
- University of Florida: Joined College of Law Faculty in 1977 as Associate Professor. Named Professor (1980) and International Programs Coordinator (2001).
- Visiting Faculty: University of Maryland, University of Konstanz (Germany), West Virginia University, University of Michigan
- Career Highlights: Marshall Scholar, Oxford University (1962-64); Lecturer, Tel Aviv University Faculty of Law (1987); Instructor, Ecole de Droit Summer Program, Montpellier University, France (1999), and American Law Program, Warsaw University, Poland (1999, 2000); Senior Fellow, United Nations Institute for Training and Research (2002 - present); Workshop Director, Capital Market Development in West Africa (2000); Seminar Director, Capital Market Development in Uganda (1997, 1999, 2000)
- Organizations: American Bar Association (Committee on Federal Regulation of Securities since 1980, Subcommittee on Proxy Regulation and Tender Offers); The Florida Bar Association (Executive Council, Business Law Section, 1995-present; Chairman, Committee on Corporations and Securities, 1995-97; Chairman, Subcommittee on Judicial Dissolution of Corporations, 1993); Illinois Bar, Phi Beta Kappa, Phi Kappa Phi