Thomas T. Ankersen
Director, Conservation Clinic
Center for Governmental Responsibility
Box #117629 Gainesville, FL 32611
J.D., University of Florida M.A., University of South Florida B.A., University of South Florida
Teaching and Scholarship
Domestic/International Environmental Law & Policy, Water Law, Protection of Biological Diversity
- University of Florida: Joined College of Law in 1991 as Legal Skills Professor and Attorney at the Center for Governmental Responsibility. Named Director, Conservation Clinic (1998) & Director, Costa Rica Joint Program in Environmental and Land Use Law (2000). Affiliate Faculty, Center for Latin American Studies since 1993.
- Professional Experience: Sierra Club Legal Defense Fund Inc., Staff Attorney, Denver and Tallahassee (1990-91). Peeples Earl & Blank, Senior Litigation Associate, Miami (1986-90). Stottler Staggs & Associates, Environmental Planner, Cape Canaveral (1980-83).
- Professional Affiliations: President, Environmental and Natural Resources Law Center Board of Directors; Tropical Ecosystems Directorate, U.S. Department of State Man and the Biosphere Program; Board of Directors, Forest Management Trust; World Conservation Union Environmental Law Commission.
- Shared Knowledge; Shared Jurisprudence: Learning to Speak Environmental Law Creole 16 Tulane Journal of Environmental Law 807 (2003).
- Inside the Polygon: Emerging Community Tenure Systems and Forest Resource Extraction in WORKING FORESTS IN THE TROPICS: CONSERVATION THROUGH SUSTAINABLE MANAGAMENT, Columbia Presses (forthcoming 2004) (with Grenville Barnes).
- The Environmental Impacts of International Finance Corporation Lending and Proposals for Reform: A Case Study of Conservation and Oil Development in The Guatemalan Petn, 29 Journal of Environmental Law 103 (1999) (with Ian Bowles et al.).