The Numbers are In! Fall 2007 On Campus Interviews Program In Review
On campus Interviewing The numbers are in for the Fall 2007 On-Campus Interviews Program. Who interviewed? Legal employers selected and interviewed 450 different law students during fall OCI. Over 46 percent of the students eligible to participate (second semester and above) interviewed during Fall 2007 OCI. Here are the numbers: 126 students had one interview; 68 students had two interviews; 256 students had three or more interviews; 2,715 total interviews were conducted.
The number of employers reached an all-time high of 159. Fall OCI began Aug. 14, the week before classes began. Of those visiting, eight employers were government agencies, three were accounting firms, three were military, one was a business and 144 were private law firms. The Florida areas recruited for included:
- 40 from Central Florida (Tampa, Lakeland, Orlando, Daytona areas)
- 13 from Northeast Florida (Jacksonville area)
- 6 from West Florida (Tallahassee and Panhandle)
- 8 from Southwest Florida (Ft. Meyers, Naples, Sarasota areas)
- 38 from Southeast Florida (West Palm Beach, Boca Raton, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami areas)
The 38 out-of-state cities and states included Atlanta, Washington, D.C., Virginia, Alabama, Arizona, Tennessee, Missouri, Louisiana, New York, South Carolina, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania, North Carolina, and Massachusetts.
Employers’ suggestions included:
- “Many students sent resumes that were totally inappropriate for our practice. It appeared as if many didn’t even read our very clear requirements.”
- “Many of the interviewing students seemed unaware of how to sell themselves.”
Spring On-Campus Interviews Different Than Fall
Is Spring OCI the Same? No.
- While the process is the same, a different segment of legal employers tend to interview in spring.
- Traditionally we host more small and medium-sized law firms, rather than the large firms who visit in the fall.
- Historically, more state government employers tend to interview in the spring. This spring may be different with the state budget cuts being experienced.
- It is important for all students to carefully review the list of employers and THE EMPLOYER’S stated hiring criteria before deciding whether to participate in OCI.
When is Spring OCI?
- Spring OCI interviews will run Feb. 12-29.
- Phase 1 bids for Spring 2007 OCI are open Jan. 8-14, at noon.
- It does not matter whether you bid on the first or last day of bidding as there is no priority system within a particular bid phase. Bidding for employers will end at noon on the closing day and the computer system will not accept late bids.
- Dates for remaining phases are available both on Symplicity and the CCS website.
What do I need to do?
To be sure you are prepared to “bid” (submit your resume for consideration by a scheduled employer) you must:
- Attend a Symplicity Training now, if you have not already done so.
- On Wednesday, Jan. 9, at noon in the Faculty Dining Room or Friday, Jan. 11 at noon in Bailey Courtroom, have a signed 2007 Policy & Procedure Form on file in the CCS
- Upload your resume into Symplicity
- Update your class year (1L, 2L, 3L) and graduation date
Start of Fall 2008 OCI is Aug. 19-22
- Early Interview Week is held the week prior to the beginning of fall classes. This will be a time when a substantial number of employers will be on campus to interview. Be sure to factor these dates into your summer employment, class or vacation plans.
- If you will not be available to interview, do not bid. Remember, you are only allotted two declines per semester.
- Remember that Fall Bidding begins in mid-July.