Even when an individual does not pass the test, there are still a few exceptions where the individual may be an Independent Contractor. The following are noted exceptions when they are used on a limited basis;
- When hiring
- Speakers for a fee
- Individuals receiving a Monetary Prize/Award
- Referees and Umpires
- Musicians, Singers, Dancers, D.J.’s, Painters, Sculptors, Comedians, Clowns, and other similar entertainer
However, for these situations contracts are required for performers for other purposes. See Legal Counsel Website .
- Contract Exception where a Purchase Order can be used in lieu of the contract/ Professional Service Agreement.
- Payment amount is less than $3,000
- Procurement sends terms and conditions to payee
- Unit/department needs to have a detailed scope of work on the requisition