Faculty Fellow, Bradstreet Chair in Bioanalytical
Co-Chair, Trans-NIH Alliance of Glycobiologists for
Detection of Cancer and Cancer Risk
Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Proteome Research (ACS)
- 1970 PhD, Adelaide University, South Australia
- 1966 BSc, Adelaide University, South Australia
The mission of Dr. Hancock's research program is the study of Glycoproteomics and glycans associated with cancer and infectious disease. Our studies involve the analysis of candidate biomarkers from both patient tissue and blood samples and we use panels of lectins (sugar binding proteins) to isolate and detect changes in glycan composition in disease. Current active area include breast and renal cancer and study of the AIDS virus. The second area of research is the study of biotechnology protein drugs which is an area which requires that latest in mass spectrometry technology especially with the emergence of biogeneric drugs. We are currently analyzing growth hormone, interferon and antibody drugs and developing new analytical approaches for study variants caused by changes in disulfides, glycosylation as well as degradative reactions such as oxidation, deamidation and aggregation.
Recent Invited Lectures (Partial Listing)
- 6th Early Detection Research Network (EDRN) Scientific Workshop and NCI Alliance of Glycobiologists Meeting, September 3rd, Bethesda, MD,USA, “Glycan Markers for the Early Detection of Cancer”.
- State of the Art Protein Analysis and Regulatory Science, August 31st to September 3rd, 2009, Boston, MA, “Modifications of Biopharmaceuticals”.
- 6th International Symposium of Biomedical Genomic Research, 4th Dec. 2009, Seoul, Korea, "Glycan markers for the Early Detection of Cancer".
- 1st International Biomarker Symposium for High-tech Medical Development, November 17th, 2009, Daegu, South Korea, " Proteomics and the Development of Biotechnology Drugs".
- HPLC 2010, June 19 to 24th, Boston, the application of proteomics technology to the characterization of biopharmaceuticals.
- HUPO2010, September 19 to 23rd, Sydney, Australia, “Development of a Cancer centric Human Proteome Project (CC-HPP).
- 2nd International Symposium on "Frontier in Agriculture Proteome Research", 18th to 19th November, 2010, Tsukuba, Japan, “Message from clinical proteomics to agriculture proteome research”.
Recent Awards (Partial Listing)
- President, US HUPO, 2008
- Randolph T. Major Memorial Lecturer (R.T.Major Lecture Series, Dept. of Chem., Univ. of Connecticut, 2004)
- ACS Award in Separation Science (ACS National Meeting, 2003)
- 213 scientific publications
- 7 books
- 21 patents
Selected Recent Publications
- "Glycation of Interferon-beta-1b and human serum albumin in a lyophilized glucose formulation", Zheng, X., Wu, S.L., and Hancock, W.S. (2006) Int. J. Pharmaceutics, 322, 136-145.
- "Analysis of the Low Molecular Weight Serum Peptidome Using Ultrafiltration and a Hybrid Ion Trap-Fourier Transform Mass Spectrometer", Zheng, X., Baker, H., and Hancock, W.S. (2006) J. Chromatogr., 1120, 173-184
- "Characterization of Multiple Glycoprotein Biomarker Candidates in Serum from Breast Cancer Patients Using Multi-lectin Affinity Chromatography (M-LAC)", Yang, Z., Harris, L.E., Palmer-Toy, D.E. and Hancock, W.S. (2006) Clin. Chem.,52, 1897-1905.
- "A Proteomic Analysis of the Plasma Glycoproteins of a MCF-7 Mouse Xenograft : A Model System for the Detection of Tumor Markers", Orazine, C.I., Hincapie, M., Hancock, W.S., Hattersley, M.and Hanke, J. (2008) J. Proteome Res., 7, 1542-54.
- "A Two Step Fractionation Approach for Plasma proteomics Using Immunodepletion of Abundant Proteins and Multi-lectin Affinity Chromatography (M-LAC) : Application to the Analysis of Obesity, Diabetes and Hypertension", Dayarathna†, MKD, Hancock, W.S. and Hincapie, M. (2008) J. Sep. Science, 6-7, 1156-66.
- "Mass Spectrometric Analysis of Innovator, Counterfeit, and Follow-On Recombinant Human Growth Hormone", Jiang, H., Wu, S.-L., Karger, B. and Hancock, W.S. (2009) Biotechnology Progress, 25(1), 207-218.
- "Mass Spectrometric Determination of Disulfide Linkages in Recombinant Therapeutic Proteins Using Online LC-MS with Electron-Transfer Dissociation", Wu, S-L., Jiang, H., Lu, Q, Dai, S., Hancock, W.S. and Karger, B.L. (2009), Anal. Chem., 81, 1, 112-122.
- "Development of Different Analysis Platforms with LC-MS for Pharmacokinetic Studies of Protein Drugs", Lu, Q., Zheng, X., McIntosh, T., Davis, H., Nemeth, J.F., Pendley, C., Wu, S.-L and Hancock W.S., Anal Chem. (2009) 81(21):8715-23.
- "An Automated Platform for Fractionation of Human Plasma Glycoproteome in Clinical Proteomics", Kullolli, M., Hancock, W.S., and Hincapie,M., Anal.Chem., (2010), 82, 115-120.
- "Characterization of the Glycosylation Occupancy and the Active Site in the Follow-on Protein Therapeutic: TNK-Tissue Plasminogen Activator", Jiang, H., Wu, S.L., Hancock, W.S. and Karger, B.L., Anal.Chem., (2010) 82(14):6154-62.