Director, James L. Waters Chair in Analytical Chemistry
The Barnett Institute, 341 Mugar
360 Huntington Avenue
Boston MA 02115
Karger Research Group Page>>
- 1960 B.S., Chemistry, MIT
- 1963 Ph.D. Chemistry, Cornell University
1. Trace Level Comprehensive Characterization of Complex Proteins
A. Use of large peptide fragment analysis for high sequence coverage of
phosphorylated, glycosylated and other post-translationally modified structures.
B. Analysis of kinetics of phosphorylation upon stimulation by extra-cellular signals of
tyrosine kinase receptors.
C. Determination of binding partners of receptors upon stimulation by extra-cellular
signals, e.g. drugs, after immunoprecipitation.
2. Analysis of Complex Proteins Using a Combination of Collision Induced Dissociation (CID) and Electron Transfer Dissociation (ETD)
A. Trace level analysis of phosphorylated proteins using CID and ETD
B. Glycosylation analysis using CID for structure and ETD for site localization
C. Studies of fragmentation of charge reduced species
3. Ultra-Trace Analysis of Proteomic Samples Using Very Narrow Bore LC Columns
A. Monolithic packed columns of polystyrene divinylbenzene with 20 micron i.d.
B. Ultra-trace analysis using 10 micron and lower porous layer open tubular (PLOT)
C. Development of miniaturized on-line sample processing and analysis by LC/MS.
4. Differential Quantitative Analysis of Laser Capture Micro-Dissection (LCM) Samples from Breast Cancer Tumors
A. Trace analysis of LCM samples from breast cancer patients
B. Analysis of paraffin embedded formalin fixed tissue.
5. New Platform for Characterization of Disulfide Linkage and Glycoheterogeneity at Specific Sites on Proteins
A. Complete disulfide mapping of biopharmaceuticals by ETD and CID.
B. Disulfide linkages in immunopurified proteins O2 stress
C. Glycan analysis at the fmole to low pmole level of proteins.
D. SRM analysis of glycoproteins.
6. Discovery and Implementation of Monoclonal Antibodies as Specific Reagents for Biomarker Analysis for Use in Clinical Diagnosis
A. Discovery and generation of monoclonal antibodies to low-level disease specific
markers in plasma.
B. Implementation of protein microarray monoclonal antibodies for diagnostic analysis.
C. Elucidation of clinical relevance of discovery of disease specific biomarkers.
7. Development of Bioinformatic Tools for Proteomic Analysis
A. Algorithms for quantitative analysis of label-free and isotopically labeled samples
B. Novel tools for selection and annotation of CID spectra of glycopeptides
C. De novo peptide sequencing and identification of PTMs
D. Integration of proteomic data with metabolic and regulatory pathways
8. New Methodologies for Proteomic Analysis
A. Proteomic analysis of organisms with unsequenced genomes
B. Identification of metabolic bottlenecks in biopharmaceuticals
Awards (Partial Listing)
- American Chemical Society Award in Chromatography, sponsored by Supelco, Inc., Las Vegas, Nevada, 1982;
- American Chemical Society Award in Analytical Chemistry sponsored by the Fisher Scientific Company, 1990;
- 1998 ACS Award in Separations Science and Technology sponsored by IBC Advanced Technologies, Inc. and Millipore Corporation, 15th ACS National Meeting, Dallas, TX, 1998;
- 2002 Halasz Medal of the Hungarian Chemical Society for Chromatography and Separation Science;
- 2003 CaSSS Award for Distinguished Contributions to Separation Science
- 2004 Michael Widmer Award, sponsored by the New Swiss Chemical Society and Novartis, Salzburg, Austria 2004.
- Honorary Member of the Hungarian Academy of Science, Budapest, 2007.
- 2008 Torbern Bergman Medal from the Swedish Chemical Society, Analytical Division.
- 2009 Marcel Golay Medal
- 2010 J. Heyrovsky Honorary Medal for Merit in the Clinical Sciences, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic
Cha, S., Imielinski, M.B., Rejtar, T.,. Richardson, E.A., Thakur,D., Sgroi, D., and Karger, B.L., "In Situ Proteomic Analysis of Human Breast Cancer Epithelial Cells Using Laser Capture Microdissection (LCM)-LC/MS: Annotation by Protein Set Enrichment Analysis (PSEA) and Gene Ontology (GO)", Molecular and Cellular Proteomics, 9, 2529-2544 (2010).
Ni, W., Dai, S., Karger, B.L. and Zhou, Z., "Analysis of Isoaspartic Acid by Selective Proteolysis with Asp-N and Electron Transfer Dissociation Mass Spectrometry", Anal. Chem, 82, 7485-7491 (2010).
Wu, S., Jiang, H., Hancock, W. Karger, B.L., "Identification of the Unpaired Cysteine Status and Complete Mapping of the 17 Disulfides of Recombinant Tissue Plasminogen Activator Using LC-MS with Electron Transfer Dissociation/Collision Induced Dissociation", Anal. Chem., 15;82(12):5296-303 (2010).
Szabo, Z., Guttman, A. and Karger, B.L., "Rapid Release of N-Linked Glyans from Glycoproteins by Pressure Cycling Technology", Anal.Chem.,82 (6) 2588-2593 (2010).
Wang, D., Hincapie, M., Guergova-Kuras, M., Takacs, L. And Karger, B.L.,"Antigen Identification and Characterization of Lung Cancer Specific Monoclonal Antibodies Produced by mAb Proteomics", J. of Proteome Research, 9 (4) 1834-1842 (2010).
Thakur,D., Rejtar,T., Karger, B. L., Washburn, N., Bosques, C. J., Gunay, N. S., Shriver, Z.and Venkataraman, G., "Profiling the Glycoforms of the Intact α Subunit of Recombinant Human Chorionic Gonadotropin by High-Resolution Capillary Electrophoresis-Mass Spectrometry", Anal.Chem., 81, 8900-8907 (2009).
Jia, Y., Wu., S-L, Isenberg, J., Dai, S., Sipes, J., Field, L., Zeng, B., Bandle, R., Ridnour, L., Wink, D., Ramchandran, R., Karger, B.L. & Roberts, D., "Thiolutin Inhibits Endothelial Cell Adhesion by Perturbing Hsp27 Interactions with Components of the Actin and Intermediate Filament Cytoskeleton ", Cell Stress and Chaperones, 15, 165-181 (2010).
Wu, S-L., Jiang, H., Lu, Q., Dai, S., Hancock, W. and Karger, B.L., "Mass Spectrometric Determination of Disulfide Linkages in Recombinant Therapeutic Proteins Using Online LC-MS with Electron-Transfer Dissociation" , Anal. Chem., 81, 112 - 122 (2009).
Luo, Q., Rejtar, T., Wu, S., and Karger, B.L., "Hydrophilic Interaction 10 µm I.D. Porous Layer Open Tubular Columns for Ultratrace Glycan Analysis by Liquid Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry", J Chromatogr A., 1216, 1223-1231 (2009).
Luo, Q., Gu, Y., Wu, S., Rejtar, T., Karger, Barry L., "Two Dimensional SCX/PLOT/MS for Ultratrace Proteomic Analysis Using a 10 µm i.d. Poly(styrene-divinylbenzene) Porous Layer Open Tubular Column with an On-Line Triphasic Trapping Columna)", Electrophoresis, 29,1604-1611 (2008).